[eDebate] an actual contribution to the t debates....

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Tue Jun 12 15:14:13 CDT 2007

Hello Brent,

I agree with most of what you say here and i think we are on largely the
same page in many parts of our thinking about this...One thing ill
address...I'm selling out my friends without their consent...it defintely
does sound like this doesn't it...i dont think it is though...people as you
say will make their own choices, and i really dont have the ability to
either promise the consent of the outliers to be topical, or to make a
community wide dictate about a "third way"topicality approach....this may be
a turn and a solveny argument against my alt...fair enough...more i point
out the compromise, negotioan rhetoric in order to illustrate that this
"alt" i am offering is not a head long plunge into some brave new world
where people suddenly<gasp> ignore the topic....instead we have already
plunged there...if i where successful in uniting the masses and the our way
or the highway crowd...i dont think it would be an absolute sell out to my
friends either...you know as well as anybody that for teams that open the
door on a broader set of debate opportunities affs will flip it on them and
say things like "we think torture is unappealing" as their plan, and of
course there are things to argue against this, but in the squo those of us
who don't encourage t debates are often without a good protective mechanism
in these places, and having some tools to evaluate what is and is not a good
departure from the topic might be helpful....but i also dont have to be in
lockstep with my friends, i can think that there is a better way to do what
they are doing, debate about it, and not enforce it...finally perhaps we
could send tim mahoney and the sneetches to do the constructive
engagement...sorta a good cop bad cop thing