[eDebate] Topicality, Child Molestation, and Civil Disobediance

Wed Jun 13 22:57:59 CDT 2007

What is wrong with starting a new organization to meet the needs of others. I
give you exhibits 1 and 2: CEDA circa 1978 and NPDA.

I haven't had any teams lose, so that is not my frustration. In fact, I am not
frustrated at all. All I am doing is giving, whether you like them or not,
alternative rationales for justifiying topicality as a voting issue.

Look, you are communicating with a coach that had his teams run lift sanctions
on Cuba on the "Substantially change foreign policy with MEXICO" topic. I know
how to run an untopical case. And, I also know the most difficult teams to beat
on the topicality debates are the teams that are the MOST non-topical. Quite
ironic, but true. We literally ran space colonization of a criminal punishment
topic. We always wanted people to engage in the topicality debates because we
were blocked out on the division of ground, fairness, and education RFD's. And,
it appears that those that choose to simply avoid the topic are more than ready
to argue why topicality should not be a voting issue for the reasons of ground,
fairness and education.

As I said at the beginning, education is a bad standard to vote against an
affirmative on topicality and I do not find it persuasive. So, X team runs,
Poetry good on the Mid-East Topic. Negative proves they are not topical and
then says it is a voter for education. It is highly unlikely that I will vote
negative.

I am not saying that teams should have to go elswhere. All I am saying is that
if they are on the affirmative and do not affirm the CEDA resolution, they
should lose the debate round. The rationales that you and Jackie are giving for
why teams should be allowed to avoid the resolution do not make sense.

The resolutions does not bar you or anybody from researching important topics on
one's own volition. There is no lose of education at all.

I believe people should enage each other in debate. However, if I come to a
tournament expecting to debate U.S. policy toward Iran, and that was what the
tournamnet invitation and the CEDA santioning said I was going to be debating;
and the affirmative stands up and starts talking about homelessness in America,
I will feel cheated. Sure, I can engage them in the discussion, but they are
engaging in a form of unethical behavior. We came to the tournament with an
expectation of the the topic of discussion, and they decided to change the
topic without our consultation, agreement, or consent. We are caught off gaurd
and will probably lose on the substative level of the debate. The only recourse
is a sanction--a loss.

All I am doing is giving people new reasons to "debate it out" in a round that
comes down to whether topicality is a voting issue. That certainly provides
some level of education.

The alternatives I suggest is not to "run people out of the activity." Rather,
the alternatives demonstrate that there is a real aspect of voluntariness to
engaging in an academic debate. To me it is the same as people choosing to come
together to play a baseball game. Imagine advertising a NCAA regional baseball
tournamnet. Teams and coaches train and spend resources preparing for the
baseball tournament. Then the University of Oklahoma, or Towson shows up to the
regional baseball tournament with their football gear, throws a pass for a
touchdown and tackles the pitcher. I doubt anybody would say they should win
the regional baseball tournament. I guarantee you the NCAA, and the umpires,
would not condone it.

In the same way, if you show up to a CEDA/NDT tournament to debate the CEDA/NDT
sanctioned resolution, and choose to debate last years resolution, or whatever
Rap CD is best this week, the judges, the organization, and the other
participants should express disapproval. The LEAST restrictive form of sanction
would be to award a loss.

Scott

Quoting jpzompe at ilstu.edu: