[eDebate] Topicality, Child Molestation, and Civil Disobediance

jpzompe at ilstu.edu jpzompe
Wed Jun 13 23:33:21 CDT 2007

Scott --

I agree with you.  If you show up to a pie-eating contest, you should have a
pie-eating contest, not a hoola-hoop contest.  And, obviously, you and I both
would stand a much better chance at winning the former, rather than the
latter.

However, if the other team wants to throw down with their hoola-hoops, I'm not
going to stomp off and pout and whine and say you should start your own thing.

We should be teaching our students how to make the arguments we're making on
this listserv - not say that there is a magic bullet that means one team
automatically loses.

You cite CEDA and NPDA to support your "alt league" position.

1.  CEDA - they came back.

2.  NPDA - they don't like pie or hoola-hoops.

Again, I don't like the non-topical kritikal affs either.  On the Middle East
topic, I'd prefer to hear a straight-up, policy-oriented aff rather than a
poetry/swing dance Aff.  But it's up to the debaters to hash that out -
not us.

Back to cutting Africa cards (which I wish was our topic....)

zomp

Quoting scottelliott at grandecom.net: