[eDebate] answers for dave -- mine anyway

debate at ou.edu debate
Thu Jun 14 11:58:48 CDT 2007

through stories and experience Dave, thats my best answer

like my debaters that quit because they didnt want to increase federal control  over indian country, call african people
underdeveloped, or claim US has any moral high ground over china

how i see debaters who are extremely radical in thought when they encounter debate change, and how debate allows that
radicalness to be compromised in the face of "fitting in"

for a while i didnt know how to explain my argument very well until i did  a very thorough reading of the articles related to
switchside debate

this would be murphy, cripe etc. from the 1950's and 60's.  This was around the time a poll of kansas debate coaches revealed
the debate about debate closed

then i encountered an article by someone you will grow to know very well, and his co-author who was a mentor of mine in my
early debate years   (hicks and green)

their discussion about american exceptionalism and normalization of the radical was very interesting to me
this coupled with how switch side debate means two different things in NDT debate as compared to say old school "CEDA"
debate

i think brent is so right when he says debate is evolving and we cant go back, we can only go forward from here

does verbalizing things you disagree with change your perspective, and are all of the benefits of this still gained through
research without verbalizing

if the resolution allowed you to increase assistance to the middle east, there were be enought flex for the affirmative to find
their niche and practice the skills of advocacy

are we training students to be able to advocate things they beleive in after debate? or things they dont believe in?  in debate, if
you are radical in thinking and approach, you dont get this practice.  If your moderate debate is your training ground.  To say
we have to be excactly like the USFG in language or solvency choices as we outline them in the resolution leaves a small
amount of room for critical creativity.  once again, not against topics, just limits to solutions.

lets be honest, our "nation" in our name with our tax money is doing some really shitty things to people around the globe.

to say it is just bad people misses the boat on their methods, where they learned, what their school of thought is, how we
accept dogma without hopes for change, should we model, or learn how to reshape the model?

what if things continue down their present path?  what do we see?  what do i see for my daughter or her children that may
come?

or the children on the west bank? or in darfur?

i think many have the same concerns, my concern is will we have some radical minds step up, be in kerry's spot, and then
become a sell out or allow for compromise of their views for some community norms like "congressional norms" etc...

my goal as a debate coach is to produce more effective liberal activist that can help steer the beast away from destruction

when i teach them in debate, compromising their personal views is not what i feel is a good starting point
learning how to defend why they believe their views is better in my mind

win or lose

peace

massey