[eDebate] Topicality and Palestine

William Newnam wnewnam
Thu Jun 14 17:21:32 CDT 2007

My interpretation of this event is not that there will no longer be an Palestinian Authority government, but rather that this refers to the current governing authority of the PA.  As I understand it, when "governments are dissolved" in Parliamentary systems this means that the new elections will be held.    The Olmert Government might be dissolved also, leading to new elections in Israel.  Some will describe it in the press as the government is dissolved, new elections will be called, and a new Israeli government will replace it.  If Abbas, who is the president of the elected parliament, acts to dissolve the government, I assume that means new elections will take place, not that there will no longer be a Palestinian Authority.  I might be wrong about this, we should remain on alert.

bill n
emory
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kuswa, Kevin
  To: edebate
  Cc: Joseph Chicvak
  Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:11 PM
  Subject: [eDebate] Topicality and Palestine

  just received this from a Richmond debater, Joe Chicvak....

  From: Joseph Chicvak [mailto:joe.chicvak at gmail.com]

  hey all

  the 'Palestinian Authority' was on every potential resolution.
  "GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip -  President Mahmoud Abbas will dissolve the Palestinian Authority's government Thursday after fighting between rival parties Hamas and Fatah consumed the Gaza Strip and was expected to call for a state of emergency, sources close to Abbas confirmed to FOX News."

  and here is more
  "Source: Palestinian leader dissolves government amid infighting"
  http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/06/14/gaza/index.html

   here are the four potential resolutions. the PA is on all of them. the resolution specifies that the constructive engagement has to be with the government of the PA.

  just an update

  --
  Joseph Chicvak
  Chaminade High School 2004

  Dr. Kevin Douglas Kuswa
  Director of Debate, Dept. of Rhetoric & Comm. Studies
  400-A Weinstein Hall                                                        (U)
  University of Richmond, VA 23173                           Spide(R)bate
  (804) 289-8269
  http://rhetoric.richmond.edu/news/debatehome.htm