[eDebate] Governments in Exile?

Fri Jun 15 17:44:32 CDT 2007

Yeah Matt. I do.

And while you are being a condescending asshole, you may want to check out the
Shah of Iran's government in Exile websites. Or, while you are at it, examine
the United Nation's recognition of governments in Exile. Example, the
Government of Tibet, the Dali Lama. And, while you are at it you may want to
look at all the ways governments in exile engage in "constructive
engagement"--including writing and ratifying treaties, recieving foriegn AID.
For example, the Shha's familiy (Iran), the Iraqi National Congress, and the
group opposing the Taliban in Afghanistan. Example 5, the PLO when they were
based in Jordon, before Arafat was allowed back into Gaza.

Advantages: Shunning the totalitarian mullahs in Iran. Non-Uniquing or turning
your Israel Disads. Human rights, Democracy.

So, Matt, before you go off on me, did you bother to read any of the speeches of
the Shah of Iran, the current Shah who claims and is recognized by several
international organizations and nations as a "government" albiet a government
in exile?

And Matt, before you you start delegitimizing governments just because they are
in exile, you better be prepared for the Genocide Kritiks, Human Rights
Kritiks, and Tibetian freedom Kritiks--that say we must recognize and work with
governments in exile.

So, No Matt, i guess I did not think 3 seconds before I posted. Rather, I did
about an hour of research on it.

And as far as limits, the limit is real simple-is the "government" of a country
recognized by other governments. Example: the United States did not "exist"
until the nation of France reconized it. Example, the United Nations refused
for a long time to recognize the existence of the Taiwan government.

Here are books and websites published by the Iranian government in exile:

Reza Pahlavi, Winds of Change: The Future of Democracy in Iran, Regnery
Publishing Inc., 2002, ISBN 0-89526-191-X.

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/

So Matt, do you think more than three second before you kneeejerk or are you
just being a reactionary asshole today?

Scott

p.s.

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A government in exile is a political group that claims to be a country's
legitimate government, but for various reasons is unable to exercise its legal
power, and instead resides in a foreign country. Governments in exile usually
operate under the assumption that they will one day return to their native
country and regain power.

Governments in exile frequently occur during wartime occupation. For example,
during the German expansion of the Second World War, numerous European
governments and monarchs were forced to seek refuge in the United Kingdom,
rather than face certain destruction at the hands of the Nazis.

Contents [hide]
1 Current governments in exile
2 Actions of governments in exile
3 Past governments in exile
3.1 World War II
3.2 The Danish exception

[edit] Current governments in exile
Currently, there are few governments in exile. They include:

 Chechen Republic of Ichkeria. The government is largely based in Western
Europe, Arab nations, and the United States. Some members are fighting in the
rebel movement against the Russian Army.
 Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) of Western Sahara is headquartered in
the Tindouf region in Algeria.
‎ The Free Aceh Movement, a government in exile for the Aceh special
territory of Indonesia, is headquartered in Sweden.
 The administration of the Belarusian National Republic exiled since 1920 and
currently led by Ivonka Survilla in Canada, see History of Belarus: BNR.
 The Central Tibetan Administration of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, a government
in exile led by the Dalai Lama in India, claiming to be the legitimate ruler of
the historical Tibet‎.
 The Government of Free Vietnam is led by General Nguyen Khanh, former chief of
state of South Vietnam.
 The government of the pre-World War II Republic of Estonia, appointed by Kalev
Ots, headed by Ahti M?nd.
 The Government of Abkhazia-in-exile, a pro-Georgian government claiming to
represent the breakaway autonomous republic of Abkhazia is currently located in
the Georgian-controlled part of this region, the Kodori Valley.‎
 The Progress Party of Equatorial Guinea has proclaimed Severo Moto Ns?
"President" in Madrid exile.
 The National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma is led by Sein Win. It
is composed of members of parliament elected in 1990 but not allowed by the
military to take office.
‎ The Gabonese Government of National Salvation led by "Prime Minister"
Daniel Mengara.
 The Republic of Serbian Krajina Government in Exile was led since 26 February
2005 in Belgrade by the remains of the Government of the Republic of Serbian
Krajina after Croatian forces overran the internationally unrecognised entity
in 1995 during Operation Storm, restoring Croat government control to Croatia's
international borders at the end of the Croatian War of Independence.
 The Republik Maluku Selatan, in exile from the South Moluccas, Indonesia, in
the Netherlands since 1950.
 The Monarchy of Iran, led by Reza Pahlavi.
The Republic of Cabinda was invaded by Angola in the year 1975. Cabinda had been
a Portuguese protectorate, while Angola had been a colony.

[edit] Actions of governments in exile
International law recognizes that governments in exile may undertake many types
of actions in the conduct of their daily affairs. These actions include:

becoming a party to a bilateral or international treaty
amending or revising its own constitution
maintaining military forces
retaining (or "newly obtaining") diplomatic recognition by sovereign states
issuing identity cards
allowing the formation of new political parties
instituting democratic reforms
holding elections
allowing for direct (or more broadly-based) elections of its government
officers, etc.
However, none of these actions can serve to legitimatize a government in exile
to become the internationally recognized legal government of its current
locality. By definition, a government in exile is spoken of in terms of its
native country, hence it must return to its native country and regain power
there in order to obtain legitimacy as the legal government of that geographic
area.

[edit] Past governments in exile
Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea
Crown Council of Ethiopia, led by H.I.M Prince Ermias Sahle Selassie and based
in the Washington D.C. area, claimed that the Emperor was still the legal head
of Ethiopia.
The government in exile of the Free City of Danzig
Spanish Republican government in Exile after Francisco Franco's coup d'?tat.
Based in Mexico City from 1939 to 1946 when it was moved to Paris where it
lasted until Franco's death.
Government of the Democratic Republic of Georgia in Exile after the Soviet
invasion of Georgia of 1921.
Government of the Ukrainian People's Republic in Exile after the Soviet invasion
of Ukraine.