[eDebate] Topicality can make people radical too

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Fri Jun 15 20:36:41 CDT 2007

While humorous and with some value the straw person snl skit is good for
laughs and not so much for arguments...neither jackie or i or anybody else
is saying topics are bad, we are saying the topic the committiee chooses is
bad, and that good debate can occur on other topics as well.

No one is doubting that some good can come from teams that debate topically,
the questions seem to be a soft one "can other forms of debate exist
alongside Policy Debate" and a harder one, "should anyone be allowed free of
deliberative challenege to ONLY debate the choosen topic even if its a bad
one"

I appreciate the point about trolling, but like so many switch side good
arguments i think it is good in theory but difficult in applicability, it
can help, but how much do you allow when creating a space for that potential
help.

Here is a ? about "switching sides" most of the community agrees that racism
is bad, yet we dont very frequently have racism good or ok debates? Why not?
Does switch side pedagogy dictate that we should?  Not to say these debates
dont exist, but more to question where and when switch side pedagogy is
useful, it is often unbounded in the explanationss of its value and we all
know thats not true, so where does it work....and how does that relate to
what you agree or disagree with...