[eDebate] On Stannards thoughts on Hicks and Greene

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Tue Jun 19 14:56:23 CDT 2007

So i dont like my teams having to debate critcaly examine racism either, nor
do i like "ben and i dont think torture is good"(what your team said against
ours at fullerton and by far the most abusive thing we had to debate all
year) I watch these debates with some frequency and almost never think the
aff is very good, i usually think that questions of how you critically
examine racism are quite effective and have seen your debaters destroy
people on this in the past...I truly dont think critically examine racism is
a very good argument if it has no praxis and method which are debateable...I
think my problem with your approach is that you cut out better arguments to
get rid of immenatly beatable arguments...i dont doubt you are innovating
nor do i doubt you are doing the majority of the heavy lifting to revitalize
debate in the northwest, but i really think you reducing the entrity of the
opposition to the topic to its most abhorent examples , just as much as i am
hyperbolizing when i say you are sehilding your studnets from democratic
deliberation...ultimatly my argument is this, the current reality is an
anarchic one, where because of the gesture you are making where all
departures are equivilant, we as a community lack the analytical tools to
compare the fairness of different approaches, to each other and to the
status quo, we can either continue drawing illusory bright lines and foster
another community split, or we can begin to devise standards that structure
and evaluate deviations because abolish prisons as a defended policy option
is infinitely more debateable than lets look at our history of
genocide....im not saying ban prisons should be automaticaly allowed, but
that to classify it the same as racism and rape are bad is the
shortsightedness that is making more and more judges compelled by departures
and less willing to reign them in when teams badly analyze whats wrong with
it...