[eDebate] TOPIC ANARCHY....

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Thu Jun 21 16:36:40 CDT 2007

1) I believe the democratic order is unjust not non existent
2) I am saying that if the aff can prove their alternative RESOLUTION better
they should get to win. I dont really understand any thing else you wrote in
that part, but i will try to address the disads briefly

a)"Quality Debate DA"-quality is a subjective term, jackie has written ad
nauseum about what you consider quality to be a BAD part of American
Exceptionalism, i think i made an argument a long time ago that you didnt
answer which suggested that there can be quality debate on a variety of
subjects, for example if jackie and i decided that a good alt res was R:
Schools should be desegregated and provided sufficent forewarning and
sufficeint back up material for why this was a good res in a publicly
accessible way there would be less of a quality debate da than if rd 5 at NU
after a long night of thinking we sprung it. Neil's suggestion that if
debaters dont make realistic assesments of the decrease in quality and
simply say any departure automaticcaly triggers the quality debate da makes
a lot of sense. If you lack the ability to make distinctions between quality
departures based on a variety of differences then you are not a very high
quality debater...

b)"Democracy v Anarchy DA" -Uh i think i no linked your anarchy argument,
and you yourself explained the tyranny of the majority argument as a
possible stance i was taking....and i think i have also made non unique
arguments about Anarchy...it already exists for a variety of reasosns...and
i think i have also advocated a stance that says that when democracy fails
to provide then self determination is necessary... im honestly not ssure how
i havent answered in some way some of these....

c) Doesnt = Effective test of your advocacy turn to your student Advocacy
Good Advantage....yes effective test of advocacy, the team we had that
advocated prpison abolition last year posted and agreed to stick to an arg
on edebate...throughout the season people tested their advocacy, through a
varieity of good arguments....if the community  would choose to pick
reasonably non souless resolutions like the prison res our team worked on or
like the schools should be desegregated res i propose  then the test would
be better, but i think its insulting to the people who did good work on the
neg to say that there is no effective test to the advocacy...

d) fairness da--uh there are varrying degrees of distinction i am making,
the prisons res for example is skewed toward the neg and there is a
reasonable tradeoff between the predicatability of the balanced community
choosen res and the unpredicatble but neg skewed prisons res....plus a res
on which you get to test the topicality of the plan is an increase in
fairness over the status quo where affs that dont affirm or agree to work
within any bounds on occasion, in my alt, affs propose a res and have to
provide a topical plan, if you for example think that the debate community
restructuring its practice to debate prisons does not lead to abolition then
run t againt them on their res....this is a net increase in fairness over
the squo for many folks...

Its not like i have been totally silent on these qustions, you may not agree
with me but its kinda not realistic to say that in the month long span of
this conversation i have not made arguments about these and other disads...