[eDebate] Coaching/Mentoring question - how much work is too much?

Sun Jun 24 18:48:05 CDT 2007

Not being a smart ass. But, ask yourself, who wants the win more--you or the
student?

What's the worse thing that would happen if you stopped cutting cards for your
lazy debaters? They would lose rounds. The students who did the work, for other
teams, would win. Is that so bad?

Now, I am not saying that coaches working on positions or cutting some cards to
fill in some holes, or because they have a level of expertise necessary to work
out an answer to an argument--but if you are the one cutting the updates to a
Politics disads du jour, you are doing too much work as a coach and should
stop.

I will cut cards and write postions for new ideas, or arguments--but if a
debater asks me to update their prolferation backfile, they can just lose the
rounds.

Scott