[eDebate] Andy, The issue is not creativity within a topic--but whether you have a burden to affirm the topic

Wed Jun 27 08:51:08 CDT 2007

That is why  I bitch and complin so much when poorly worded topics are drafted.
That is why, when I am writing a topic paper on solving global warming, alomst
a year in advance, I am more concerned with topic wording than on finding and
explaining the a problem area.

Two examples; Everyone says, Gee we should debate Mid-East policy. Then they
have two or three days to craft resolutions on one of the most complicated
topic areas ever. Next year, everyone will, for some reason, say Yeah, let's
debate Relations with South America, but will have the same difficulty crafting
meaningful resolutions in just two days.

Finding cases within a resolution that are "super abusive" is the function of a
poorly worded resolution. But that does not deny the original issue that
topicality, as a concept, should be a voting issue.

Frankly, I would love to debate Resolved: The United States should remove all or
nearly all troops from Iraq.