[eDebate] The Harrison '06 Court = Politics Link Card

Sherry Hall shahall
Sat Mar 3 16:39:28 CST 2007

Please post this email to edebate on my behalf.

Dear Debate Community:

It has come to my attention that teams are reading "evidence" from a debate
blog that I ran last year when the high school topic was a legal one.  I
started the blog because, in judging debates on the topic, I was frustrated
by what I saw as misunderstandings of the legal system by many in the debate
community.  I also was frustrated by a lack of creativity in devising
arguments as a result of a lack of broad legal knowledge.  I intended the
blog both to educate and to generate new ideas for argumentation.  I did NOT
intend the blog to be used as evidence, especially not in college debates
where I figured the community would recognize that none of my posts were
peer-reviewed (or reviewed by anyone at all), none of my posts were backed
up by specific research, and none of my posts would ever qualify as "legal
scholarship."  In fact, I am merely giving people ideas for arguments and I
do not necessarily advocate any of the ideas as my own - I consider evidence
to be taken out of context if it says, "debaters should argue that bush
would get credit" and folks read only the part suggesting "bush would get
credit," thereby attributing that idea to me.

When I found out that people were reading "Harrison 06" evidence from the
blog as link cards on the court politics argument, I made an effort to end
this.  Whenever anyone read this evidence in front of me, I asked that they
not do so in the future.  I also posted something on the blog that I
intended as a disclaimer for people not to read "evidence" from the blog.

I have been traveling internationally for several months and, upon my
return, I found out that people have continued to read this evidence in
debate rounds.  Accordingly, I am now sending this to edebate in the hope
that the community will recognize definitively that I do not want blog posts
from my debate education blog to be read as "evidence" in rounds.

Please do not read evidence from my debate education blog in rounds.  I
consider it to be taken out of context.  I hope that if people do read this
evidence in rounds that judges will penalize those teams for reading
evidence that the author considers out of context.

Thanks,
Lindsay