[eDebate] Saw Chermerinsky Speak Today

Galloway, Ryan W. rwgallow
Tue Mar 13 17:51:21 CDT 2007

Ben & I just went and saw Erwin Chemerinsky speak on the future of the Roberts Court at the Samford Law School.

It was awesome.

He talked about the possibility/likelihood of several major Supreme Court precedents being overruled, and discussed the issues of abortion, affirmative action, the death penalty, presidential powers, punitive damages, and the separation of church & state in-depth.  It was like he said Resolved:  abortion, aff action, death penalty, pres powers, punitive damages, and sep of church & state.

Ben & I both thought that a debater or judge having been on this topic would have been well-prepared to understand many of the issues he talked about in constitutional law.  We are trying to see if there is a possibility of posting a transcript of the lecture to edebate at some point, but the law school may have proprietary rights to it.

I talked to him a bit afterwards and he said that he wished he could come to the NDT again, but probably couldn't make it this year.  He was absolutely brilliant and it was an amazing constitutional tour de force.  Someone would ask him a question about an area of the law and he would list off about eight major cases off the top of his head and exactly who the justices were on each side of the case and how the fact that Roberts & Alito had replaced Rehnquist & O'Connor would affect the cases.

Thanks for reading!

Dr. Ryan Galloway
Director of Debate
Samford University