[eDebate] CEDA Judge Preferences

Gary Larson Gary.N.Larson
Sun Mar 18 21:18:42 CDT 2007

As many of you know, a number of experiments have been done this year to improve the mutuality and preference available, particularly in large tournaments.  The NDT will asking teams to provide ordinal rankings without any ties so that the rank ordered judges can be placed into any number and size of arbitrarily defined categories for research purposes.

We will also be doing something slightly different this year at CEDA Nats in order to make it possible for teams to increase preference and mutuality.

We will be using ORDINAL rankings to assign judges at the tournament but we will NOT enforce the requirement that you not have any ties.  With 158 judges in the pool, it's perhaps unlikely that anyone can discriminate between every judge.  The only constraint on ties is that they need to be assigned the rank at the TOP of the range.  In other words, you can rank your top 10 judges:

1,2,3,3,3,6,7,7,9,10  OR even  1,2,3,3,3,4,7,7,9,10  but NOT 1,2,5,5,5,6,8,8,10 (the 3rd highest judge is ranked 5).

In other words, the operative principle is that NO judge can have a rank lower than number of judges ranked at that point.

To simplify the task of ranking and reporting your ranks, a spreadsheet is attached.  Save it to your computer before you start the task.  When you enter any ranking, the sheet will automatically re-sort based on the current rankings.  If the judge rankings conform to the rule concerning ties the cell will be highlighted green.  If not, it will be highlighted red.  This doesn't mean that you have to do the rankings in order.  A red cell will become green as soon as it conforms.

CONSTRAINTS:  Assign all of your constraints the value 99.

To submit your prefs, save the sheet with the name of the team(s) and then attach it to an e-mail message to me at Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu.

The deadline for submitting prefs is Wednesday at 3:00 PM

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.