[eDebate] Augustana Debate Job Announcements: Director of Debate and Assistant Coach Positions

Fitzmier, Daniel DanielFitzmier
Mon Mar 19 14:03:21 CDT 2007

Hi Folks -

Dan Fitzmier here - I have a couple announcements to make: First, I am
leaving Augustana College at the end of this academic year - many of you
know that Joanna and I have been living apart for the last two years -
after giving it a great deal of thought we've decided that the best way
to redress this is for me to move back to Chicago so that we can be
together again.  I want to be crystal clear about one thing: please do
not take my departure as evidence of a problem with the debate program
or department support or administrative interest - I made my decision
based on a specific difficulty pertaining to dual academic careers and
the obvious associated problems that arise in such a situation, namely -
living in a different city than one's spouse.  The debate team has an
immense amount of administrative and departmental support here at
Augustana - I am 100% certain that this support will persist far longer
than my brief tenure at the College.  This all leads to the second major
announcement that I have to make: Augustana is now searching for a new
Director of Debate, in addition to the Assistant Coach position that we
have been advertising for.  I have pasted a copy of the ads below.
Please feel free to contact me, in addition to the folks listed below,
if you have questions or other inquiries about either position.

Thanks,

Dan Fitzmier

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT

The Department of Speech Communication at Augustana College invites
applications for two positions to begin August, 2007.

Position 1:  Visiting Assistant Professor/Director of Debate

Qualifications:  Debate experience is required.  Ph.D. is preferred,
although ABD and MA will be considered.  This visiting position is a
one-year contract, renewable up to three years; the position is
potentially convertible to a tenure-track line.  The successful
applicant will direct a nationally recognized NDT program and will teach
courses such as public speaking, oral advocacy, and possibly other
departmental or college offerings as appropriate, such as political
communication, interpersonal communication, or self-designed liberal
studies courses.  The director is expected to manage all aspects of a
small but successful and active debate program, arrange travel and
budgets, and travel with teams. The ideal candidate also would help
recruit for the program, and maintain strong connections with high
school programs.

Position 2:  Assistant Debate Coach/Instructor

Qualifications: Debate experience and M.A. required.  One-year contract,
renewable up to three years.  In addition to assisting with a nationally
recognized NDT program, the successful candidate will teach courses in
public speaking and oral advocacy. Depending upon background and
interest, this individual could also teach other departmental offerings.
The assistant debate coach is expected to travel with teams, recruit for
the program, and maintain strong connections with high school programs.

Review of applications for both positions will begin immediately and
will continue until the position is filled.  To assure full
consideration, application materials including detailed letter
indicating fit to the position, current vita, transcripts, evidence of
teaching effectiveness, and three letters of recommendation should be
sent to the following address:  Dr. Jeff Abernathy, Dean of the College,
Augustana College, 639 38th Street, Rock Island, IL 61201 or
Abernathy at augustana.edu.  Email inquiries or notices of applications en
route would be welcomed; please contact the department chair, Sharon
Varallo, at SharonVarallo at augustana.edu

Augustana College is a private liberal arts institution with 2,500
undergraduate students, affiliated with the Lutheran Church, located in
a diverse metropolitan community of approximately 300,000.  Augustana is
a nondiscriminatory/EEO employer.  Women and people from diverse racial,
ethnic, and cultural backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
More information on the college can be found at the Prospective Faculty
website www.augustana.edu/employment.