[eDebate] CEDA Reminders - 07-08 Topic

Gordon Stables stables
Tue Mar 20 23:05:50 CDT 2007

I am sorry to add to more email clutter, but as we prepare to kick off
CEDA Nationals I would like to offer a couple of brief reminders of what
will be happening with the topic process in Norman. I won't pretend that
we can craft topics that satisfy everyone's views, but I am proud of a
very open process that requires and relies on active participation by
the community.

1) Student Representative Election - Tomorrow (Wed.) from 6:30-7:30PM
there will be a Student Meeting and Elections for a number of positions,
including that of the Topic Committee Representative. In my time on the
committee I have witnessed the powerful voices that students lend to
this process. The China topic paper a few years back was authored by
debaters (Brad Hall and Jamie Carroll) and this year we another student,
Michael Maffie, played a big role in the Middle East topic. Darren is
right that we need to continue to expand student involvement and this
representative is central to that effort.

This meeting is your chance as students to select your voice for the
summer meetings. I can assure you that this representative is an
important member of the committee and I look forward to working with
your selection. If you can't make the meeting, please make sure your
voice is heard.

2) CEDA Business Meeting and Topic Committee - Saturday morning, 8:30 AM
in the Oklahoma Memorial Union Ballroom. Breakfast will be served at
this important open forum on the topic options. You have seen the ballot
and the full papers are available  at the website www.cedatopic.com
This is an opportunity for the community  provide input and ask
questions about the various choices.

I would also ask that you review the proposed amendments, which include
Amendment #9 which would adjust the balloting procedures, including
relevant dates for topic development.

This meeting will be taking place during the quads, so if you are
judging or debating in that round and want to provide input, just email
or chat with me or the other members of the committee. All of our emails
are linked on the website and  I, like many members of the committee,
will be at the tournament all weekend.

Please travel safe and I look forward to discussing the upcoming topics
with you this weekend.

Gordon Stables
Chair - CEDA Topic Selection Committee

--

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.

Director of Debate

Annenberg School for Communication

University of Southern California

Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913

http://usctrojandebate.com
 <http://usctrojandebate.com>