[eDebate] A comment on side bias...

William J Repko repkowil
Tue Mar 27 19:47:43 CDT 2007

... I'm as busy as the rest of you -- and don't really have time to start an
elaborate thread. So, I won't reply to your backchannel.

Tone can be tough to detect on email -- chalk this one up to "surprised
observational guy" post, not the classic "disgruntled sky-is-falling guy"
post.

If I have read Larson's data correctly, I wanted to point out the following
from CEDA Nationals:

Q: In a really competitive field of teams, how many debates did the Aff win
from the quarters on ?...

zero.

Q: how many did the neg win ?...

7

Q: in those seven debates, how many ballots did the Aff win ?...

4

Q: how many did the neg win ?...

27

Q: is this "just one tourney", or "just a CEDA thing" ?...

maybe...but, probably not entirely...

Obviously, it is factually the case that this is one tourney, but I'd
contend that the teams/judges in the quarters were a fairly indicative lot.
I wouldn't describe any of these debates as wild mis-matches, and few/none
of the judges as "critics that never judge an elim @ a major".

The NDT results will be a little different -- to be sure -- but, for the
most part, this is a representative sample of what elims "looks like".

Q: What does this mean ?..

Well... It could be used to all sorts of ends...

side equalization (b/c flips shouldn't be *this* important), anti-side
equalization (b/c the stakes are so high that the damn tab shouldn't
dictate), broad topics (more aff wiggle room), narrow topics w/ more
emphasis on resilient Affs (trying to court a culture where the "neg case"
is less acceptable), pro-K, anti-K, etc.

While I do like some of these stances more than others, I posted to make
none of these points.

Instead, I posted to say two things:

a) the eye-opening moment

I had heard grumbles of the neg bias for some time -- but didn't care and
(frankly) enjoyed the very act of voting neg. Neg is my "Sweet Home
Alabama".

For everyone, though, there is an eye-opening moment. Sunday was mine --
mostly b/c *when I started coaching, such a huge chunk of CEDA Nats elims
went Aff*.

I thought that maybe some of you would find it eye-opening as well.

I still love the neg -- we'll always be close... but Sunday was the first
time I saw the 2A's more than "just whiney"...

b) I think if -- in an attempt to make EVERYONE happy -- the community is
afraid to limit the neg from:

 -- specific substantive hits; AND
 -- generic substantive hits; AND
 -- generic K; AND
 -- theory

And is also afraid to:

 -- explore greater use of side equalization

..then I think we may soon see a day where all the octas (and beyond) go
neg. That might not be so-ideal.

A closing thought:

none of this means I will change how I judge prior to the NDT. That's not
fair to the crop of competitors that have come to rely on my stare
decisis.... So, I am still neg leaning on the "theory" and "specific
substantive hits" section from above. Less-so on the other classifications.

Always,

 Bennifer