[eDebate] Meeting/Participation Concerns

candice moore cmoore075
Sat Mar 31 12:11:15 CDT 2007

I am very sorry that some of the students who wanted to attend the Student
Rep Meeting and the Elections were not able to go due to travel issues or
any other issue hindering them from attending both of these very important
meetings. I will make sure in the future that we post the times and rooms
reserved for these meetings more than they were this year as well as having
the National Student Rep post as well. I understand that there was some
confusion as to where the first meeting was held and that the time of the
second meeting should of been held later than I already did that evening. I
would have also delayed the meetings if I knew that more than three schools
at the time of registration had notified someone from CEDA of their travel
issues. I also tried to prolong these meeting as much as I could so maybe
that some people could still attend. Because of those reasons I thought
having a blog would be a great idea so that the students who could not
represent themselves in person could write about their ideas or opinions and
discuss it. I think that what Gabe had to say about the 15-20 persons
representing the students not being adequate to the size of the community is
a BIG example as to how we need to start getting out into the community and
having more participation. I wouldn't blame travel issues to the only reason
we have a lack of students participation but also take into consideration
that the students that I heard speak out at the Student Meeting said that
they didn't have a lot of information about any of the roles we are elected
for. That is why I am in the process of making a handbook on the duties or
roles that a Student Rep., National Student Rep., and a Topic Comm. Rep.
will perform during their terms. I am making sure that we do not have these
problems or issues anymore. I am also trying to do more with the roles we
are elected into and really show the community that a students voice does
matter. I think a big question we should be asking ourselves is how do we
get more participation with an activity we all love and respect? How do we
show the community we care about their ideas and opinions no matter what
they are? The only thing I can say is start talking to everyone about what
should happen and then act on it and make sure you have a Student Rep.
elected in your area. Also start using the blog as a non-biased forum to
express your opinions. Again I am sorry that some students couldn't attend
the meetings and will make sure that the National Student Rep. next year
will take the extra step to make sure all our voices are heard.

Thanks for the responses and ideas for a better future,
Candice Moore
National Student Rep. 2006-2007