[eDebate] Middle East Topic Paper

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Fri Mar 2 11:33:06 CST 2007

Very impressive paper on a very compelling topic area. This would be a great topic area next year or, assuming that people's case advantages turn out to be overstated, any year thereafter.

And, the resolution doesn't even require us to decide whether Afghanistan's presence is the Middle East is geographic. In a political sense, I expect it will be very much present. And, of course, final decisions on country lists and wording are topic committee issues at any rate.

We could, of course, change our internal nonmenclature to please the Middle East geographical purists. Here are several suggestions:

The Mancuso Topic (guarantees immediate passage but risks retraction next fall)
Resolved: Armageddon
Afghanistan, et al. (My favorite, but some could argue APA guidelines would require no fewer than 6 in the final list)
The Near-Iraq Orbit
Iraq by Proxy
Switch Side Policymaking in the Middle East

In good humor,

Dr. Eric Morris
Asst Prof of Communication
Director of Forensics