[eDebate] [CEDA-L] CEDA Topic Process Update

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Mon Mar 5 12:23:59 CST 2007

it is early but so far there are virtually no comments on the topic areas at
the blog. I'm not surprised. people aren't really paying attention and they
won't until after the ndt; by then, it is too late.

i've cursorily read the topic areas (and doing so is rather difficult--the
first one is like 46 pages long).

i don't know what resolutions the committee will pick. hence, i do not
really have an informed opinion upon which to discern which areas i want and
don't want.

the only comment I really have is: what happened to the latin america topic
area? that was one i and several members of my team were really interested
in.

that said, I'll also note that I don't think the blog is real inviting of
discussion. people have to go to the blog site. then they have to type in
security codes and other info to make a post. this is not generative of a
discussion.

I'm also not sure what we are supposed to say at this point. topic areas
generate comments like "boring topic area" or "that sounds interesting" or
"the person that wrote that topic area is cool, I'll support that one" and ?
what? I mean I don't really have anything to say. resolutions, on the other
hand, invite arguments about the right wording, the arguments that would
actually get debated, etc.

PROVE ME WRONG--GO TO THE BLOG AND COMMENT!
http://blog.cedatopic.com/

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT--THEN POST TO EDEBATE.

that said, i strongly advocate the following new topic selection process:

1. begin _resolution_ request papers immediately following the ndt (or ceda
if it is the 'last' tournament). that is when people start paying attention.

2. require the resolution request papers to include the suggested resolution
wording and follow it with actual solvency quotations and then
counterplan/disad/k quotations. these papers should be brief--10 pages
maximum or at least the core components should appear in the 10 pages.
people aren't going to take time to read even that--I'd have a 2 to 3 page
intro section that covered the core elements I've suggested.

3. obviously but just for clarity, several resolution request papers can be
offered under the same topic area.

4. over email and by early may, the topic selection committee narrows the
list down to 12 resolutions at maximum for community voting. there will be a
strong presumption against lowering it below 12.

5. the community votes on the resolutions and we narrow down to 5
resolutions to pick from.

6. the topic committee meets in early june as it does now and more carefully
words the resolutions but is STRONGLY urged to stick to the fundamental
focus of the originally voted on resolution wording.

7. then, the five resolutions are submitted to the community for voting as
is now.

benefits:

1. we get to vote on resolutions instead of topic areas that turn into
resolutions that we don't like.

2. people will really discuss resolutions; at best, we know people don't
discuss topic areas (see the blog).

3. people will have time to discuss the resolutions since they won't be
focused on preparing for districts/ceda nats/the ndt.

4. we'll get better resolutions since they will be fully debated out for a
good month prior to the topic committee meeting.

respectfully argued especially for all the hard work that gordon and others
have put into this year and previous year's topic work.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu