[eDebate] [CEDA-L] CEDA Topic Process Update

Gordon Stables stables
Mon Mar 5 14:16:23 CST 2007

A couple of comments on the proposals for reform.

1) When Jim last mentioned his frustration with the deadlines I asked
only that (and I am now quoting from the earlier email)

"I would just ask that legislative reforms of this nature consider the
whole process, including the sequencing of summer meetings, announce
date, etc. The committee must work within the procedures established by
the CEDA membership so a clear system is essential".

The hard part is not picking a date to accept papers. There are obvious
reasons why the later the deadline the greater the appeal in having work
submitted. The challenge is including both votes (area and then
resolution) and including times for the topic meetings and the release
date. This schedule is, in part, produced by working back from the final
release date, not just the date we would prefer the process to start.

The community, by amending the CEDA constitution, has the authority to
adjust these procedures. If there is interest in such a movement I would
only ask that you consider the entire calendar so that the committee can
complete its task. I am more than willing to discuss these items with
anyone interested in reform.

2) I can appreciate that Jim didn't have an opportunity to thoroughly
review the papers before he posted, but again as I mentioned in the last
post,

"We have moved this year to provide additional guidance in the first
balloting. The introduction of the concept of controversy papers and the
effort to phase out 'area' papers is a reflection that schools should
have some greater sense of what these potential topics included."

If anyone reading the papers is unclear as to the direction of these
potential topics, please let me know. Based on my reading, the community
should have some pretty good ideas about where the topics are headed. It
is true that there is latitude in each area for follow-up work, but I
would be hard-pressed to believe that these papers are vague on the
question of the type of topic. This stage of the process is not the same
as the past and it is careless to describe it as such.

3) Setting the dates is a matter for the community. Setting the
procedures for accepting papers is the province of the committee. We
have worked hard to increase transparency, through items like
controversy guidelines and the blog. I realize it isn't as easy as
edebate, but the organization and structure of the site is another means
of being transparent.

I know Jim waited eight hours after I posted the announcement of papers
on the blog to dismiss it, but last year it proved to be a very valuable
source of input and discussion. It also benefits from not being
cluttered with the latest discussions of what evidence to read in
debates and 'hey - person with email all over the web - can you
backchannel me? I have a cite request that is on the Wake wiki.' It
isn't going to be easy to break our addiction to this forum as the sole
province of community discussion, but it needs to happen. If our
standard for 'generative of discussion' is edebate and only edebate we
get what we deserve as a community.

I would also like to thank Matt Moore for clarifying the security item.
The blog doesn't require registration to post. It merely asks you to
repeat a random number located on the page in order to prevent automated
systems from spamming the site. This only takes a second and it allows
us a way to keep the site easier to read for all. This is one of the
features of the new blog. It was necessary to make this jump because we
had so much traffic on the old site.

Finally, Jim asked how to keep up the blog. I mentioned you can
subscribe to it. If you go to the site and look for 'Subscribe To
Blog/Entry' in the bottom right you can receive each item on a
particular thread or the whole site in your email. Just like edebate -
but without the rest of the traffic.

If you have any suggestions on how to encourage authors to develop their
papers, please let me know. As always, this is the province of getting
volunteers to do work. I am, at this point, a little leery of requiring
that papers be a certain length. The controversy guidelines suggest that
papers need not be very long, but I don't see how arbitrary page
cut-offs improve the process.

Thanks.
Gordon

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.

Director of Debate

Annenberg School for Communication

University of Southern California

Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913

http://usctrojandebate.com
 <http://usctrojandebate.com>