[eDebate] Totally Tangential Reply To Branson

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Tue Mar 6 13:57:07 CST 2007

Hello,

I have largely stayed out of edebate discussions this year (I am sure all
are thrilled by this development) but I wanted to make a short response to
this thread.

It seems to me that there are two problems in debate currently in this area:

First, the disjunct between academic goals based in research and strategic
goals based in research.  This disjunct encourages all of us to try and find
any absurd claim with minimal or no backing/proof/warrant/qualification and
win on it because "there are no answers in the literature" to such absurd
claims.  For instance, a few years ago a common CTBT add on claimed that the
real cause of Global Warming was testing because it "warmed the core of the
earth."  Many rounds were won on this piece of evidence not because it was
accurate or credible but because there were no answers in the literature
despite the fact that it was a barely credible argument from a whack job
blogger.  No credible scientist agrees or would consider answering the claim
because they had no incentive to visit www.iaminsane.com. The cause of this
being a winning argument was that most judges valued "A CARD" more than
"logical but true answers."

No offense to my Zizekian loving friends but Zizek is another example of
this - he is in no way more credible is claiming what causes 99% of what he
claims than any educated debater - but because he talks about literally
everything and NOBODY - even people who dislike him - have the time to
answer his 400+ solutions to capitalism etc.   round after round is won
because there is a "card" that says we need to "take the leap of death" or
"sacrifice the sacrifice" when to do so seems literally brain defying to the
average educated listener.  The opponant can spout blue, red, and green with
logical arguments about why this is close to criminally insane...but in
the end, the vast majority of judges say - "well, they have a card that says
x."  I realize I read Zizek but dont get Zizek - so hold off on killing me
for this example.  I think its fair to say some of his "solvency" claims are
more than a little unsupported by emperics or facts.

In other words, we have become, too attached to the cult of the card.....Or
perhaps, attached in ways that defy reason.  We reward research, often, at
the expense of the logic of what is said.  Often this is  because we reward
effort and strategic researching more than we resolve the "truth" claims
that are presented.

I agree with Branson that we ought not "legislate" what constitutes a good
card.  However, we might want to consider, as judges, standards for
evaluating evidence (like qualifications, the warrant, the backing, etc).
Which brings me to the second issue.

2. The disjunct between standards and pure freedom.  This is where I get
into trouble with many of my more performance based colleagues.  I believe
we should have well-defined, transparent, and published standards for how we
evaluate these issues as judges.  My current view is that judges go out of
their way to not influence the debate in any way that smacks of applying
their own opinions.  I believe judges should, as Antonucci and Branson hint
at, accord evidence the weight that its warrant/qualifications/backing etc
give to it.  If team A reads a card that makes a wild and unsupported claim
and team B says its not from a qualified author, not in the context of
comparison, and that the argument it makes is so wild that it ought not be
considered to create a meaningful linkage to be worthy of decision...Those
logic arguments ought count at least as much as they correctly describe the
argument made in the evidence.

(2A) A final concern is the recent trend to highlight out the warrants of
cards in order to save time reading.  Some teams read a page long card in
approximately 10 seconds by highlighting out the warrant/reasoning in the
evidence.....generally the warrants in the evidence are presented in a
melange of multi-colored highlighting that it would take a degree in
criminology to discern (followed by any parts of the card that would
contradict the tag being reduced to 4 point font so only the bionic man
could ever read it)....Ultimately, when you finally figure out what was and
was not read you have already read the warrant and make out the "reason" in
the card despite the team reading it not paying the price in time of having
read the warrant.  In my mind this is very unfair.  The cost in time you use
choosing what parts of cards to read is part of the choices you make in a
debate and you should be rewarded only for the arguments you actually made
during your time.  To do otherwise, literally, penalizes the team that
introduces complete arguments in a debate while rewarding bad practice.

Ok, just in case everyone forgot to put me on the "old school" pref sheet at
the NDT.....

Hope everyone is doing well,

Josh