[eDebate] Totally Tangential Reply To Branson

EMarlow at ucok.edu EMarlow
Tue Mar 6 14:48:58 CST 2007

I agree with Josh completely about the highlighting issue (we must have
gone to the same Old School--Dinosaur University).  Massey and I had a
VERY long discussion about this a few years ago.  I think that when
critics read the parts of cards that debaters don't, it is cheating.  We
paticipate in a discourse driven activity and reading the unread parts of
cards for the debaters after the round is entering discourse into the
round that simply was not uttered.   The evidence and it's warrants should
only be adjudicated on the merits that were actually read in the round.
Giving the un-highlighted parts credibility is a jedi mind trick.  Might
as well give full weight to a claim a team doesn't make but you know they
"meant to say".  In the push to denigrate the old school way of cutting
cards that weren't very long, we have created a culture where debaters cut
5000 word cards and actually read 50 of those words.  On paper the
evidence might look better, but in reality it is the same as it always
was.  I think critics should do their best to not do the reading for
debaters after the round...don't cheat.

Just my two cents on what I see as a growing problem in our activity.

Peace,
Marlow

"Josh Hoe" <jbhdb8 at gmail.com>
Sent by: edebate-bounces at www.ndtceda.com
03/06/2007 01:57 PM

"Josh Branson" <harobran at hotmail.com>
cc
antonucci23 at yahoo.com, edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject
Re: [eDebate] Totally Tangential Reply To Branson

Hello,

I have largely stayed out of edebate discussions this year (I am sure all
are thrilled by this development) but I wanted to make a short response to
this thread.

It seems to me that there are two problems in debate currently in this
area:

First, the disjunct between academic goals based in research and strategic
goals based in research.  This disjunct encourages all of us to try and
find any absurd claim with minimal or no
backing/proof/warrant/qualification and win on it because "there are no
answers in the literature" to such absurd claims.  For instance, a few
years ago a common CTBT add on claimed that the real cause of Global
Warming was testing because it "warmed the core of the earth."  Many
rounds were won on this piece of evidence not because it was accurate or
credible but because there were no answers in the literature despite the
fact that it was a barely credible argument from a whack job blogger.  No
credible scientist agrees or would consider answering the claim because
they had no incentive to visit www.iaminsane.com. The cause of this being
a winning argument was that most judges valued "A CARD" more than "logical
but true answers."

No offense to my Zizekian loving friends but Zizek is another example of
this - he is in no way more credible is claiming what causes 99% of what
he claims than any educated debater - but because he talks about literally
everything and NOBODY - even people who dislike him - have the time to
answer his 400+ solutions to capitalism etc.   round after round is won
because there is a "card" that says we need to "take the leap of death" or
"sacrifice the sacrifice" when to do so seems literally brain defying to
the average educated listener.  The opponant can spout blue, red, and
green with logical arguments about why this is close to criminally
insane...but in the end, the vast majority of judges say - "well, they
have a card that says x."  I realize I read Zizek but dont get Zizek - so
hold off on killing me for this example.  I think its fair to say some of
his "solvency" claims are more than a little unsupported by emperics or
facts.

In other words, we have become, too attached to the cult of the
card.....Or perhaps, attached in ways that defy reason.  We reward
research, often, at the expense of the logic of what is said.  Often this
is  because we reward effort and strategic researching more than we
resolve the "truth" claims that are presented.

I agree with Branson that we ought not "legislate" what constitutes a good
card.  However, we might want to consider, as judges, standards for
evaluating evidence (like qualifications, the warrant, the backing, etc).
Which brings me to the second issue.

2. The disjunct between standards and pure freedom.  This is where I get
into trouble with many of my more performance based colleagues.  I believe
we should have well-defined, transparent, and published standards for how
we evaluate these issues as judges.  My current view is that judges go out
of their way to not influence the debate in any way that smacks of
applying their own opinions.  I believe judges should, as Antonucci and
Branson hint at, accord evidence the weight that its
warrant/qualifications/backing etc give to it.  If team A reads a card
that makes a wild and unsupported claim and team B says its not from a
qualified author, not in the context of comparison, and that the argument
it makes is so wild that it ought not be considered to create a meaningful
linkage to be worthy of decision...Those logic arguments ought count at
least as much as they correctly describe the argument made in the
evidence.

(2A) A final concern is the recent trend to highlight out the warrants of
cards in order to save time reading.  Some teams read a page long card in
approximately 10 seconds by highlighting out the warrant/reasoning in the
evidence.....generally the warrants in the evidence are presented in a
melange of multi-colored highlighting that it would take a degree in
criminology to discern (followed by any parts of the card that would
contradict the tag being reduced to 4 point font so only the bionic man
could ever read it)....Ultimately, when you finally figure out what was
and was not read you have already read the warrant and make out the
"reason" in the card despite the team reading it not paying the price in
time of having read the warrant.  In my mind this is very unfair.  The
cost in time you use choosing what parts of cards to read is part of the
choices you make in a debate and you should be rewarded only for the
arguments you actually made during your time.  To do otherwise, literally,
penalizes the team that introduces complete arguments in a debate while
rewarding bad practice.

Ok, just in case everyone forgot to put me on the "old school" pref sheet
at the NDT.....

Hope everyone is doing well,

Josh