[eDebate] Totally Tangential Reply To Branson

Brad Hall hallbc2
Tue Mar 6 20:30:10 CST 2007

I think the best solution is that debaters (for the few who bother to
read this) should be more emphatic about comparing evidence and making
logical arguments. Judges are extremely reluctant to impose their own
standards on debates (and rightly so), but debaters have free reign to
attack the quality of their opponents evidence. I would particularly
encourage debaters to spend cross-examination time on this type of
argument, as most CX time is wasted anyway and it is the only forum for
a direct embarrassment of the other team. From a judging perspective,
only a few possible options appear:
a) intervene (the community consensus seems to agree this is an
undesirable option)
b) evaluate logical analytical arguments from a presumption that a
claim, even if it is based in evidence, must make logical sense. This
should overcome the "well, Kansas read the Chalko card and all Dartmouth
said was that Chalko has no warrant or backing for his claim so I voted
for Kansas because they had a card."
c) reward debaters who do this type of debating with higher speaker
points. Debaters love speaker awards.
d) begin to enforce this quality control on your own teams. I am not
accusing NU or Michigan of having bad cards, but for everyone out there
reading these posts and agreeing with the general decline of quality
evidence and arguments in debate, take a look at the files your own
teams turn out and ask yourself if you are part of the problem. I try my
best to do this, although I don't speak Korean so I can't read any of
Seungwon or Doowon's files.

One final note for anyone disagreeing with the general trend of this
conversation: the competitive aspects of debate must be balanced against
the educational benefits of debate. Competitively, it makes perfect
sense to require that debaters have evidence to answer all of their
opponents arguments. And it is certainly true that research skills are
an important aspect of the educational benefits of debate. But it is
equally true that debate should be educating students on the ability to
apply logical reasoning to an argument you are unfamiliar with (see
Aristotle on invention for more here).

Brad