[eDebate] New Aff - What is?

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Thu Mar 8 11:19:42 CST 2007

I also think that an affirmative with minor changes is not new. I do
think an affirmative that overrules the same case could be new,
particularly when the plan is very different. I would view a critical
affirmative replacing a policy affirmative as new, even if the plan text
were similar, but would not feel the same if there were just a one new
policy advantage with the same plan. The option of showing the plan, and
saying "Environment" "Clarity" and a "New Advantage we've never run"
would be appropriate.

It is also helpful to consider what purposes are served by disclosure.
The purpose of an in-depth debate is generally best served by
disclosure, even when the case is new (except when the disclosure
enables e-prime, etc.). I can think of situations where a completely new
case was pre-disclosed (and even researched during the half hour before
the round). The purpose of competitive advantage is best served by
non-disclosure, or worse yet misleading disclosure. The current practice
is best viewed as a compromise position; since a previously broken case
(even by another member of the same squad) could be predicted from case
lists, asking around, etc., the real effect of non-disclosure is less
information denial and more creating time harassment that could stop
other teams from the negative's school from receiving as much coaching.

The disclosure "exception" for new cases, then, is based on the idea
that the case being run is not reasonably predictable based on that
school's past arguments. It is also a practical exception; since many
people write new cases for the purpose of the surprise, it might be hard
to shift culture on that question (and partial shifts are inherently
inequitable during the transition).

Based on that view, I feel that cases that could be known based on
perfect information of a squad's past cases should be disclosed. Cases
runs by other squads, not the one you are hitting, are far less
predictable and thus qualify as new. The view that nothing is new is a
formula for either full disclosure or resentment - I may not KNOW that
Michigan State ran my "new" advantage as an add-on during Round 7 of
Kentucky. The view that everything is new is a formula for either
complete non-disclosure or resentment - people have run "new" cases in
important rounds where only a card or two was actually new (assuring
that the negative spent their prep time preparing for other
possibilities). Such a practice is WORSE than just refusing to
disclosure because it is highly misleading.

Unless we ever have a culture which privileges depth of debate over
competitive advantage enough that disclosure of new cases is expected, I
would advise toward at least partial disclosure when a case is at least
partially old.

Dr. Eric Morris

Asst Prof of Communication

Director of Forensics