[eDebate] CEDA Nationals - Rooms Pillaged...

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Tue Mar 27 09:59:49 CDT 2007

No trend in debate is more disturbing than the way debaters often trash
rooms.  I cannot figure out if its hubris or entitlement or some odd
tournament pathology but every year the problem seems to get worse.

It sounds like Jackie and crew went way way above and beyond the call of
hospitality duty at CEDA this year.....I really hope that the good will of
the University of Oklahoma (which seems to have contributed a goodly sum of
money to help make it happen) doesnt end up regretting that choice.  Just at
our high school tournaments the post-tournament clean up takes an absurd
amount of time.

I would like to suggest that debaters and judges make a real effort to
create a community consensus on post round cleaning.  If we use paper pick
it up....If we bring in food/drink put it in the trash.....I will be the
first to admit that I am not always perfect in this regard but I am going to
re-commit myself to helping post-round cleaning.  We are eroding the good
will that is necessary for our activity to continue.

I hope that debaters did not take or disable the projectors in
question....If they did, I hope they do the right thing and help fix the
problem.

Congrats to OU and Jackie and crew on what seems to have been a great CEDA
nats.

Josh