[eDebate] Meeting/Participation Concerns

Adam Farra adamhfar
Sat Mar 31 15:27:53 CDT 2007

I think Candice's attempts are noble and in good-faith, but I would
have to say that I'm not too sure about the "post-election" reforms
as really solving the problem that Gabe et. al. have cited.

Most importantly, I think that when Gabe talks about the lack of
student representation he is talking about a pretty specific problem
with this year's elections: that the elections only represented 15-20
students in an activity where, at the NDT alone, there are over 170
(pretty sure).

I want to be clear on this: I don't know Candice very well, and from
what I've read she seems like a noble candidate, so this is not a
criticism of her, but of the skewed system of elections. The question
of student participation is one that must be addressed first with
student elections - indeed, the inclusion of MORE students (or at
least a population that is somewhat representative of the population)
in the election of the student representative is a pre-requisite to
the general reforms of the "structures" that allow student
participation in the topic process, the community's rules, etc.

Is there some way to do another election? Maybe at the NDT? Maybe
online? Maybe...through e-mail ballots?? This would probably
dramatically increase the amount of students voting - and it even
lets students who could not go to CEDA (like me for school reasons)
be more invested in their community general through participating in
the election process.

And, seriously, I don't think Candice is a bad person - I think
everything she's said is intelligent, but I really do think that
15-20 students voting for a population of 300 or some is
just...well...it's BS, frankly.

Adam