[eDebate] Meeting/Participation Concerns

candice moore cmoore075
Sat Mar 31 17:06:26 CDT 2007

Thank you Adam for noticing my efforts. I am very appreciative of your
response and concerns.

I think something that is looked over and something that would help with a
lot of these issues is that a lot of regions are not represented by a
student. I found this true when after the business meetings last year when I
posted a letter to call all Student Reg Reps to give me some ideas as to
what they think their roles should be as well as the importance of the flaws
in the processes of electing our representatives. I think that before we can
get to the important issue of the election that we should first start
representing ourselves in our regions and get together in any form and
brainstorm ideas to make sure the elections are better and that we have more
attention to the flaws of the system. It's really hard to make things better
when no one has spoken out until they are not happy with a decision that has
been made. I waited some time to see if more people would show up to BOTH of
the meetings and tried with other student reps to get more people from the
lobby into the elections meeting. Certain circumstances hindered students
from attending outside of travel issues. I thought that the steps I took
were the best I could do at the time and I feel really bad that the
community thinks my efforts were not good enough. I am new to the role as
the National Student Rep and I have had to do a lot to start progressing
things to show more involvement in the community. I find it difficult to
start from scratch and build a strong group of individuals that really truly
love debate. The question of the election process is something that we all
discussed at the Student Rep meeting and it is something that we are trying
to work on and in the process of working on. In regards to holding this
election at the NDT I would have to say that sticking with the tradition of
holding it at CEDA nats is best. This is something the CEDA organization has
given us as students so we can represent ourselves through CEDA. I also
think that holding the meeting at the NDT would be troubling considering you
have to qualify to be there and people are trying their hardest to do well
at the one dream we are all trying to get to. I do agree as I have said that
15-20 people is BS and that it needs to be solved but I dont think that
holding a new election is going to show more student participation in the
community. This is the beginning of more student participation as well as
showing we will go above and beyond and attend all the meetings we can and
give our input. I am just trying to get it going and trying to think of
solutions for the problems we are faced with.  Once again keep on giving me
feedback and suggestions I really enjoy it all.

Thanks,
Candice Moore
National Student Rep. 2006-2007