[eDebate] Dear Dallas fans,

andy liu andyliudebate
Fri May 4 14:35:09 CDT 2007

Enjoy your unbearably hot summer.

yours,
Don Nelson

Watching Stackhouse and Cuban lose is the only thing that tops watching
Chicago beat Miami, who by the way were much more gracious losers (except
for Shaq).

Side predictions:

1) Phoenix beats Detroit in seven and disproves all the conservative
crapfactories (99 percent of sportswriters) who say things like 'defense
never wins' and 'Dallas will win because of experience.' Who thought Golden
State had a shot after game one? Who thought Detroit had a shot in the 2004
finals?

2) The Nets will win tonight. Bosh is a great player, but he most certainly
did not actually read all of the Odyssey:

http://us.penguinclassics.com/static/html/nba/bosh.html

But when he had busily performed his tasks, then he rekindled the fire, and
caught sight of us, and asked: ??Strangers, who are ye? Whence do ye sail
over the watery ways? Is it on some business, or do ye wander at random over
the sea, even as pirates, who wander, [255] hazarding their lives and
bringing evil to men of other lands?? ?So he spoke, and in our breasts our
spirit was broken for terror of his deep voice and monstrous self; yet even
so I made answer and spoke to him, saying: ??We, thou must know, are from
Troy, Achaeans, driven wandering [260] by all manner of winds over the great
gulf of the sea. Seeking our home, we have come by another way, by other
paths; so, I ween, Zeus was pleased to devise. And we declare that we are
the men of Agamemnon, son of Atreus, whose fame is now mightiest under
heaven, [265] so great a city did he sack, and slew many people; but we on
our part, thus visiting thee, have come as suppliants to thy knees, in the
hope that thou wilt give us entertainment, or in other wise make some
present, as is the due of strangers. Nay, mightiest one, reverence the gods;
we are thy suppliants; [270] and Zeus is the avenger of suppliants and
strangers--Zeus, the strangers' god--who ever attends upon reverend
strangers.? ?So I spoke, and he straightway made answer with pitiless heart:
?A fool art thou, stranger, or art come from afar, seeing that thou biddest
me either to fear or to shun the gods. [275] For the Cyclopes reck not of
Zeus, who bears the aegis, nor of the blessed gods, since verily we are
better far than they. Nor would I, to shun the wrath of Zeus, spare either
thee or thy comrades, unless my own heart should bid me. But tell me where
thou didst moor thy well-wrought ship on thy coming. [280] Was it haply at a
remote part of the land, or close by? I fain would know.?

Also, since they're translating this from Ancient Greek, why do translators
use old English like 'fain,' 'thy,' 'art,' 'thou' and 'verily'? Any modern
vernacular will sound anachronistic no_matter_what; do they think that this
is what Ancient Greek sounded like in English? Oh my god, I hate
classicists.