[eDebate] Falwell

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Tue May 15 20:54:47 CDT 2007

Uh, there seem to be a few arguments from a resounding number of posts.

First let me say.. I apologize to falwells family, friends, students, and
supporters, if any of them are reading edebate on this terrible day then i
am sorry if my words have added to their sorrow, and suffering....i honestly
thought my response was not likely to even be a blip on the "sorrow" radar
for those intimatly connected to this death, and i honestly still think
thats the case...i think its realitivly easy to pile on and say there goes
andy being rude and insensitive, and this is the worst sin ever, but really,
its not, and im not at the familys space telling them that their man
deserved to die, nor am i desecrating his grave, and in reality if he was an
important part in your life why the hell are you cocnerened on this day
about what i have to say about it?

Now some answers....

Kevin talks about times when falwell made him smile when he was alive.

i agree i love the fact that he submitted himself to a debate community that
was for the most part hostile to him, in fact i think its a sign that he is
strong in his convictions.

I smiled at these times as well.

I also smile when i think about the debate team he created, and the region
his support helped to thrive.

Maybe, at times that didnt seem clear. and maybe it wasnt even at times to
me, but at the end of the day good job on building a great debate team, ill
never take that away from him...

But i guess when i remember back to those banquets what i most appreicated
was the way falwell stood by his convictions, he preferred to spar with
those who disagreed with him, not to engage in friendly banter with those
who agreed, he stood from a position of power, i mean he was winning the
fight for the soul of america that he had been engaging for several decades,
and those that vehemetly disagreed with him where a sign of his success.

Then a bunch of people say...But damn he did sooooooo much for debate.

Let me put this this way. I voted for melissa wade as god on facebook, i
think she rocks...solid....if in addition to the debbate work she did she
started a eurohetropatriarchy supremacist movement, that spread viraly
through the american political culture i dont really think i would ignore
the white supremacist movement in order to celebrate her debate
success....simply put i can concede all the jerry good for debate arguments
and if the cost of all that is the power of the moral majority in american
politics then its not worth it.

Im sorry if that notion is troubling, but to me its absolutly scarry that
"no one hates  the politics as much as i do" but he WAS good for debate.

Did you ever think that perhaps he started and supported the debate team and
the college in the futherence of that politics?

Even not making that argument im just not in the for the "he helped us so we
will side step his evil" argument. You may say my its good when people i
dont like die argument is a jsutification for all sorts of bad stuff, but it
at least is no worse than " but he was good for debate"

Herndon Says...how do you honor his life,...i think its simple, i dont
pretend for thesake of civility he did not accomplish all that he did. I
vehemetly disagree with what he accomplished, but you all seem to be willing
to like pretend most of that work didnt occur and al he did was hook up some
underserved debaters.

Lets see what else...

why didint you celebrate saddams death, what if you died, you arnt
consistent, you are an ass....oh and falwell was not a dictator like pol
pot...ok fair enough and neither was che or reagan or cheney , look the
point of all that was that people who are as politically revolutionary as
falwell, inevitably through their success generate dislike and hatred, most
of them like falwell have some blood on their hands as a result of their
politics, thus some people smile when they die....

really, i dont get what this fight is about, i may have been insensitive,
but in order to challeneg my insensitivity you all are making some
tragically bad arguments...not all of you mind you, but the ones who say " i
hate his politics but he has done so much for debate" are downright
dangerous.