[eDebate] Topic Wordings

Gordon Stables stables
Thu May 24 20:40:41 CDT 2007

Logan,

Thanks for the question. You will notice that the phrase "substantial
increase in foreign assistance" was retained because there is a reasonable
defense of quantitative approaches to making an item like foreign assistance
larger. The nature of fiscal matters lends itself well to such comparisons.

At the same time this was not true for the relatively few and discrete items
known as security guarantees. They tend to be much fewer thus making the
scale of increase less significant because each one is important.

It was also less relevant for constructive engagement because the scope of
the increase was provided elsewhere (with assistance or guarantees) and also
because the term substantially might imply without condition or
qualification. It was our impression that constructive engagement was very
much a negotiated (conditioned, tied, bargained, etc) term and adding any
phrase that would provide no unique limiting role and also weaken the basic
meaning of the term was not advisable.

Thanks. Let me know if that makes sense.

Gordon

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.
Director of Debate
Annenberg School for Communication
University of Southern California
Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913
http://usctrojandebate.com

  _____