[eDebate] Narrow the topic can you please...

Danielle Verney daisy_verney
Tue May 15 09:48:16 CDT 2007

Jackie,

I was wondering what your reasoning was for saying that a narrow topic is
bad for smaller schools who do traditional debate.

As the coach of a small-ish school (or really more a medium school with a
small coaching staff and a lot of younger debaters) which does very
traditional debate, I thought that narrower topics were better for a couple
of reasons:

*More specific disadvantage and counterplan ground--so judges don't have to
hear the same agent counterplan + politics debate every round and so
debaters get to have varied strategies from round to round

* Better case evidence on the neg

* Easier to assign a very specific area to a younger debater--some of our
kids aren't so great at executing "okay, go cut a disad" but are stellar at
"find a card that says X", which seems easier on a narrower topic,
particularly earlier in the season.

Perhaps this has less to do with being a smaller school and more to do with
being a novice and JV based program which does traditional debate?

Thanks,
Danielle Verney O'Gorman
Navy Debate