[eDebate] atrocities

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Tue May 15 22:43:40 CDT 2007

Unless someone would like to contend one of the following two arguments

1)Jerry falwell built the moral majority in to a major force that drasticly
shaped the landscape of american culture and politics.

2)his death is a loss to that movemnt

then im not going to engage this debate too much, like i dont have time
right now to explain in depth all the things he has done that are bad but
perhaps one of the more thourough people on the list jockeying for the "who
hates falwells politics the most but can still take the high road" can
explain why they hate his politcs so much.

But i do have some cards from kuswas article

1. Falwell was key ushering in the reagan era and conservative politics.

Driven into politics by the 1973 Supreme Court ruling that established the
right to an abortion , Falwell founded the Moral Majority in 1979. One of
the conservative lobbying group's greatest triumphs came just a year later,
when Ronald Reagan was elected president.

Falwell credited the Moral Majority with getting millions of conservative
voters registered, aiding in Reagan's victory and giving Republicans control
of the Senate.

''I shudder to think where the country would be right now if the religious
right had not evolved,'' he said when he stepped down as Moral Majority
president in 1987.

I will make several arguments here, 1) this political work has created a
much more hostile climate for  homosexuality, many activists who have been
involved in the community for years, think that when falwell created the gay
hatred industry, the result was an increase in suicides and gay bashings.
Reasonable people can disagree and statistics can prove or disprove this
claim, but homosexuality is a political issue now in ways it wasnt in the
past. ( I think if you deny this, i will find falwell quotes that back me
up, but please dont disagree with me that falwell marketed for political
purposes his dislike of homosexuality) 2) He has created a climate (by
design) hostile to abortion rights, again reasonable people might disagree
about this debate, but there is no questioning falwells influence here. 3)
Regan era conservative politics ushered in an era of policymakers who have
crafted foreign and domestic policies which have killed many people. From
welfare, to anti communism, to anti terrorism, the world very clearly bears
the imprint of the reagan years and everyday blodd is shed as a result. im
not saying without regan everything would have been peachy, but that the
world is a more dangerous and hostile and death friendly place for the
majority of the people of the world as a result of reagans polcies...and
political operatives which likely may have been consinged to a fringe if not
for falwell...

More from kuswa's article...

2. Please contact Matt Forman to tell him the same things you are telling
me. He is also  lamenting the politics of falwells life, he  is violating
the lets not talk bad about the dead standard, he is just slightly more
diplomatic than i....this might be the contact info for his office
*Washington, DC*
1325 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: 202.393.5177
Fax: 202.393.2241

Matt Foreman, executive director of National Gay and Lesbian Task Force,
extended condolences to those close to Falwell, but added: ''Unfortunately,
we will always remember him as a founder and leader of America's anti-gay
industry, someone who exacerbated the nation's appalling response to the
onslaught of the AIDS <
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/aids/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>
epidemic, someone who demonized and vilified us for political gain and
someone who used religion to divide rather than unite our nation.''

3. Falwell devoted his lifes work to the politics you all are trying to
forget

'Dr. Falwell was a man of distinguished accomplishment who devoted his life
to serving his faith and country,'' said Sen. John McCain

4. I dont know if i used the word attrocity, my comparisons are simply to
other revolutionaries, which falwell was...

5. Christopher Hitchens if far worse than I and MILLLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE
WATCHING HIM NOW