[eDebate] Later Jerry. . . .

Danielle Verney daisy_verney
Wed May 16 05:30:58 CDT 2007

I think the point that many of us were trying to make was that some of Dr.
Falwell's students and friends are on edebate, and that it seems unfair to
post nasty comments about someone's mentor/friend/boss/pastor to a listserv
that you know that they read for professional or extracurricular reasons.

I don't think anyone would be pissed at Andy for putting his comments on his
MySpace page, or his blog, or writing them down, or saying them out loud.
But I think it shows a remarkable lack of sensitivity for people in our
community who are grieving to say them in a way that delivers them to
Liberty students' and faculty's inboxes.  I can tell you for certain that
if, less than a day after my death, someone posted to edebate calling me a
dictator and accusing me of committing atrocities, my students would be
terribly upset by it.  Why?  Because in a time of grief, they have nasty
messages about a friend and mentor being delivered to their inboxes from a
community that perhaps they thought might care about them.

No one was asking anyone to trumpet Dr. Falwell as a paragon of virtue and
humanity, or to say things that they didn't believe...I think all we were
asking for was a little sympathy for our friends.  If the best way to
manifest that sympathy was through silence, that would have been more than
enough.

The Liberty debaters and staff have never showed anything but kindness to me
and to my students.  I have only ever seen them be gracious to others in the
community, including those with whose politics they vehemently disagree.  I
had hoped that the community could muster enough kindness and grace to
support them in their grief...I guess that was too much to ask.

Danielle Verney O'Gorman