[eDebate] andy ellis

Andrea Terry andreajterry
Wed May 16 14:34:47 CDT 2007

I don't often post things here.  The posts are often over the top, and that
doesn't surprise me.  This is the debate community, after all.  However,
Andy's comments floored me.
It is one thing to celebrate a despot's removal from power, but quite
another to rejoice at the death of a human being.  For all your talk about
body counts, Andy, you seem to lack a basic respect for human life.  Who are
you to qualify whether someone's death should be celebrated?   We should
always be striving to uphold human dignity, and your post in no way
accomplishes this goal.  Given the logical jumps you've been making between
Falwell's activity in politics and body counts, maybe you should consider
that celebrating the death of one person opens the door to doing the same in
terms of other individuals, other groups, and, well, you know the story.
What kind of moral framework is that?
Here is a thought: perhaps we should lament the fact that Falwell died not
only because he contributed to the debate community, but also because he
passed before recognizing the error of his ways regarding the manner in
which he mixed faith and politics.  I would think that as a member of the
debate community, you would want people to experience knowledge in a way
that allows them to change their mind when confronted with information that
proves their point of view wrong.  But no one is going to want to listen to
your point of view if you would rather see them dead than given the
opportunity to change because they don't share your political ideology.
So Falwell mixed faith and politics.  So he did it in a way that runs
contrary to actual Christian theology.  So you disagree with him. Does that
make his life of less worth than yours?  I would hope your answer would be
an emphatic 'NO', but at this point, I'm afraid to ask.