[eDebate] Falwell passes

Jesse Lewis jesse.lewis
Fri May 18 13:45:52 CDT 2007

On 5/15/07, louden <louden at
wfu.edu<http://www.ndtceda.com/mailman/listinfo/edebate>>
wrote:

>* *
>* We recognize he was *human and that he passed*. Political exaltation or *
>* fixing blame ought to wait at least a respectful period of time. *
Would two days be acceptable?

*"The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will
not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we
make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and
the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make
that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way?all of
them who have tried to secularize America?I point the finger in their face
and say 'you helped this happen.' " -* Jerry Falwell, September 13, 2001

Falwell certainly had no problem seizing on the deaths of 3,000 people to
make a political statement while standing on their burned and mangled
bodies. He lived a full life, did what he thought was best, and hurt a lot
of people in the process. That he was a supporter of debate does not mean we
can in good conscience ignore the evils he spake in the name of Christ.

If people wait a "respectful period of time" (again, please let me know when
the clock runs out), then it's old news and no one cares. With all the
hagiographies the mainstream media is putting out about him, it is required
of all people who were disgusted by his demagogery regarding homosexuals,
people who supported the right to choose and people who believe that forcing
Christianity on citizens through the power of the government is un-American
to say "This man spoke hate and intolerance, and he should not be lauded for
that."

Ignoring the wrongs he did just because he supported something you enjoy is
like a battered spouse: "Well, he earns good money, and we have a nice
home...I'll just say I ran into the door."

Debate is supposed to be a bastion of free thought. To stop the expression
of those thoughts because it might not be "respectful" - let's just say you
should find another activity more in line with that sentiment, as debate
does not seem to be for you.