[eDebate] What is wrong with giving the aff room to breath under a"clean" topic?

Danielle Verney daisy_verney
Thu May 24 15:41:50 CDT 2007

Now your complaints are just getting sloppy.  First of all you are mixing up
criticisms of the topic, the rez, topic writing elegance, and the room the
topic gives for aff flex.  This constant shifting makes your criticisms
annoying and unconstructive.
As to aff room to breathe... No, I am not worried about a creative aff in
quarters Wake - I am worried about JV/Novice rounds at ADA tournaments.  My
fear about too much aff flex is that the topic allows so many disjointed
affs and small affs that there is no way to keep up with case negs given a
small research staff and you have no choice but to rely on Consult CPs,
Generic Ks, and Generic Politics all year.  I see this as shallow debate,
and it sucks.  If you run the send lollipops plan - you are right I can
engage with these generics; woohoo! - but they suck compared to your
specific lolipops are awesome (which they are) and kids are awesome (also
true) advantages they suck - and more importantly generics onlys is bad
education.
A good rez, for me, has to lock the aff in to the one controversial thing -
but flex as to other things the aff can do.  E.g. sanctions topic - have to
lift all or nearly all  sanctions - but can do a bunch of different things
under CE.
Most of these resolutions are not all that aff restrictive, # 3 is, but the
1 and 4 let you do anything you would do under your "clean" topic as long as
you include either a security guarantee or an increase in foreign
assistance.  Foreign assistance is a particularly broad category that would
seem to include almost anything - except diplomatic moves, which you can do
- you just also have to do foreign assistance.  Thus 1 and 4 let you do
essentially anything non-squirrelly - what is the problem with them?  2 lets
you do foreign assistance or security guarantees only - which is still a lot
given the breadth of the term foreign assistance.  Locking the aff into a
security guarantee or foreign assistance is nothing like locking in troops
or political opposition.  Your complaint about aff lacking room to breathe
here is sillier than your complaint about clunky wording.  Seriously what is
your big deal about CE must include security guarantee or foreign assistance
as opposed to unmoddified CE?
Your solution to how to word a rez so we can have a Golan Heights debate is
to not have it!  Wonderful! I am sure no one wanted to debate the peace
process when we picked the middle east!  And you eliminated 4 of the 5
presumptively included countries in the topic paper!  How faithful to your
criticism that the community should have a clearer idea of the rez from that
paper!  Excellent solution!
Also you have just traded country flex for mechanism flex (and not much
mechanism flex) - so you are more restrictive to the aff now than the
committee.  WTF?  The only benefit to this rez is your much vaunted
"clarity".  You really think its more important to get the rez down utter
simplicity than to follow the topic paper and let people who are interested
in other parts of the ME debate them?
You didn't make it easier on yourself research wise.  The plans on the Iran
topic are going to be subject to the same change the plan mechanism slightly
CPs, the consult CPs, Israel, other relations, generic Ks and other actor
COs.  You say you only have to deal with 1 country now, but thats true for
the broader ME topic as well -- you only need answers to the CPs for the
country your Aff deals with!  You don't need to come up with a million
different negative strats when you are neg - you can focus on the ones you
like.
Finally, while you don't have to like the ME topic - if its the topic you
don't like then cop to that and stop pretending that the committe is ramming
something down your throat.  We voted on the topic, you lost, blame the
community's love of Foreign Policy topics, but don't blame the rez process
(btw of the 70 schools that voted on the topic ME got 31 first ballot votes
- and 43 votes by final round).
increase of FA NOT big difference from USFG should adopt a policy of CE to
Iran -- so aff is not being unduly restricted!
2. No good reason not to include other countires than Iran in a ME topic -
and even if there was, YES YOU SHOULD HAVE RAISED IT EARLIER
3. "Clean" wordings are something of not too much value which you are
fetishizing for no good reason.

Tom O'Gorman
tomogorman at gmail.com