[eDebate] What is wrong with giving the aff room to breath under a"clean" topic?

Danielle Verney daisy_verney
Thu May 24 16:28:09 CDT 2007

Andy, I guess we have to disagree.  I only know my own little ADA world, but
at Navy we are a pretty small research school with a jv/novice focus (some
few mids with debate experience who have intense time commitments, my wife
as the 1 full time coach on top of teaching classes, me for free when I can
on top of my real job, and Lt. Sullivan when he can, for free, on top of his
other responsibilities) and we like these topics.  The other people who do
policy in ADA land that talk to me like these topics.  Everyone policy
person I know thinks sanctions and treaties rocked on toast.
I agree there has to be some balance between aff lock in and aff flex, but I
don't see how y'all aren't finding it with this list.  Most of these topics
only require you to include security guarantees or foreign assistance --
thats a lot of room.
As to elegant writting - I think its overrated.  You can simplify when
explaining to people who would appreciate it, and technical wording prevents
some untopical affs and some silly T debates.  I don't see it seriously
hurting.
The wording certainly doesn't make it harder for us to debate the topic.  In
my admittedly limited ADA land experience I don't know people who are
leaping to support untopical affs because of it.  And I don't really know
how people as divided as you and I are going to agree on fair limits when I
like the treaties topic - and Towson was getting rid of prisons on the
overrule topic.  Finally, I just don't believe that if we changed the
wording to the simpler unmodified USFG should CE X list that Towson and
others like it wouldn't continue to be untopical/find creative
interpretations of the topic, so I'd rather keep good limits so that those
of us who do debate more traditional policy can have case debates.

Tom O'Gorman
tomogorman at gmail.com