[eDebate] analogies

matt stannard stannardmatt
Fri May 25 16:13:37 CDT 2007

Bob, you are missing my point entirely.  I am not objecting to Mike's hating on the resolutions.  I am not defending the resolutions.  I am charging Mike with a class A analogy felony.  It was a bad, inexcusable analogy and he should be punished SIMPLY FOR MAKING THE ANALOGY, not for his position on the resolutions.  I'm not sure of your position on exclusion counterplans, but I would favor a "print Mike's post without the analogy" counterplan, the net benefit being that it's the second worst analogy ever, and might sicken those who read it.

Also, the only thing I ever said publicly about the Andy/Fallwell thing was to ask a question about the value of life.

When you lost all that weight, did you also lose your sense of humor and nuance?  Or am I just not that funny?  Don't answer that.  In my most private, reflective moments, I know the answer all too well.

mjs

From: db8coach at cox.netTo: stannardmatt at hotmail.com; mmk_savant at hotmail.com; edebate at ndtceda.comSubject: Re: [eDebate] analogiesDate: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:13:33 -0700

Wow, I can't believe I am reading this.

 Isn't this from the guy who defended Andy's right to free speech when he applauded the death of a human being??? Now he wants Mike to self impose an exile for saying some topics were shitty? Not the topic committee personally (I happen to know he has much respect for many of them), just the topics mind you.

Matt, your head is in the WRONG place when you defend the right to say a human death is good but condemn citicizing topics as bad.

Remember folks, even terrific hard working people can produce shitty results. I think the world of those topic committee members that I know. I also think that these resolutions are quite possibly the worst I have ever seen. It happens.

And no, I was nowhere near a computer this past few days when the wordings were being discussed. Had I seen these resolutions (before they were finalized) I would have said that they are wordy, convoluted, difficult to comprehend, and are going to create nightmarish T debates. Oh you can pose and tell me that I am wrong, but I will expect an apology after the tournaments begin.

Bob Lechtreck

Create the ultimate e-mail address book. Import your contacts to Windows Live Hotmail.
www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/managemail2.html?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_HMWL_reten_impcont_0507