[eDebate] Rochester Tournament Invite Nov 17-18

Ken Johnson kenrjohnson
Thu Nov 1 11:48:59 CDT 2007

This is a repost of our invite.  If you can send me #'s sooner than later, that will help us out.

Dear Friends:

The University of Rochester Debate Union is pleased to invite you to the 2007 Brad Smith Debate Tournament (BSDT). The tournament will be held the weekend of November 17 and 18. Our tournament is named in honor of H. Brad Smith, a long time and invaluable University of Rochester Debate Union supporter, who will again honor us with his attendance at this year's tournament. The tournament will be CEDA and SAMBA sanctioned. SAMBA is the Society Advocating More and Better Argumentation.

We will use the CEDA definition of "novice." The time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep time.

You should enter your teams by Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 5:00 PM. Send your entries to kjohns15 at mail.rochester.edu & enter them online at debate results.
Last minute changes can be made by calling Ken Johnson at 585-781-0040.
We will attempt to release pairings for rounds 1 and 2 the night before, subject to last minute changes and potentially judge placement.
We will also be hosting a world?s format division. If you wish to enter into the World?s division, please email Ken.
The rest of the invitation includes all the rest of the necessary information for registration and lodging. Additionally, we have included a tentative tournament schedule. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call Ken Johnson, Director of Forensics on his cell phone at 585-781-0040 or email him at kjohns15 at mail.rochester.edu. The University of Rochester Debate Union hopes to see you at our Tournament this November in beautiful upstate New York. Let us know if we need to do anything special to make that happen.

Sincerely,
Ken R. Johnson, Director of Forensics Gordie Miller, Assistant Director Matt Farmer, Coach Mike Gunther, Coach

ENTRIES, FEES, AND INFORMATION Entries: The entry deadline is Wednesday, Nov. 14, at 5:00 PM Eastern Time. Entry fees will be $70 per two person team. The fee will cover awards, breakfast on both days, as well as lunch on Saturday. One judge covers two teams. There will be $120 fee for each uncovered team, but as hired judges are limited we would rather have your judges than your money. Fee waivers can be negotiated for financially needy teams. Also, if you have extra judging please make us aware when you register, as we may be willing to hire your extra critics. There will be a $50 fee for each change reported the day of the tournament. Please make all checks payable to the University of Rochester.

Hotel Information: Please reserve your rooms today! There is a lot going on in Rochester this weekend and rooms are in short supply. The tournament hotel is the Rochester Super 8 Motel. It is conveniently off the Thruway exit for Route 390, at 1000 Lehigh Station Road, Henrietta, NY 14467. Ted Thompson has agreed to charge $59 per room. Mention "UR Debate" when making your reservation to get this rate. The hotel advertises "free wireless internet." The Super 8's number is (585) 359-1630. The hotel is about 15 minutes for the University of Rochester's River Campus. We will leave directions in the lobby on Friday night. HOTEL BLOCK RATE GOOD FOR 50 ROOMS. Please make your reservations early! If you can?t get in the block, give Ken a call and I?ll see if Ted will expand the block. Most rooms have been recently remodeled and have mini fridges / microwaves. They also boast of a continental breakfast.

Another low-cost option near the tournament hotel is the Days Inn Rochester Thruway at 4853 West Henrietta Road in Henrietta, New York 14467. The phone number is (585) 334-9300. They did not have a block rate to offer, but prices are reasonable. If the Days Inn fills up, try the Red Roof inn on Jefferson Rd. Their rates are in the 80's and 90's, but they are near food and entertainment on the Mc-Mile of Jefferson Rd. Their number is 585-359-1100.

ALL THE HOTELS ARE RIGHT OFF THE NYS THRUWAY (90) EXIT 46!

Food: We will be providing breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. We will also be providing snacks throughout both days. On Saturday we will be providing a nutritious lunch.

Sexual Harassment and Discrimination: The University of Rochester will uphold the principle of debate in the atmosphere of civility and mutual respect. All our guests should be treated fairly without regard to race, creed, age, sex, national origin, and sexual preference. Any incidences of harassment or discrimination should be reported to the tournament staff immediately.

Schedule: (This is a tentative schedule. We will try to operate ahead of schedule if possible).

Friday, November 16, 2007 8 PM to 10 PM: Early registration ? Super 8 Lobby Saturday,

Nov 17, 2007: Park in the Library Lot behind Rush Rhees Library, off Intercampus Drive on the River Campus of the University of Rochester. The central meeting place for the tournament is Hoyt Auditorium on the Library Quad. It is located directly on the opposite side of the Rush Rhees Library from the Library Parking Lot. It is the same as in years past.

7:00 am to 7:30 am: Late Registration - Hoyt Auditorium (River Campus)
7:00 am to 8:00 am: Donuts, Bagels, Coffee, etc.
7:30 am: Final Pairings Released
8:00-10:00 ? Round 1
10:00-12:00 ? Round 2
12:00pm-1:30 Lunch (provided), round 3 and 4 pairings released.
 1:30-3:30 ? Round 3
3:30-5:30 ? Round 4 5:30-7:00 ? Light Dinner (provided), round 5 pairings released
7:00 ? Round 5 10:00 ? Round 6 Pairings Released on Edebate and at the Super 8

Sunday, November 18, 2007

7:30 am: Bagels, Donuts, Coffee, etc.
8:00 am to 10:00 am: Round 6
11:00 am to 1:00 pm: First Elimination Round
1:00 pm to 2:00 pm: Awards Ceremony
2:30 pm to 4:30 pm: Second Elmination Round
4:30 pm to ?????: Appropriate Elimination Rounds to follow