[eDebate] 50 pts. AT Hoe and Ellis

Ross Smith smithr
Thu Nov 1 13:34:01 CDT 2007

Good points (no pun intended).

The emporer has no clothes, Andy. Which 5-3's will clear at Wake is
random as it is (at least with regard to the differences between the
bottom 5-3's that do clear versus the top 5-3's who just miss clearing.
We *pretend* that it is meaningful. Yes, there will be a new form of
randomness introduced. At least there is some *potential* in the new
system for points to have meaning in relation to performance.

Making 20-30 "work" has been tired and failed, Josh. One hypothesis I
have is that no judge wants to give, and debaters do not want to
recieve, less than a 27. 20-26 is *percieved* as (and therefore "means")
BAD. There is no reason 40-45 needs to be seen in that same way.
Choosing a scale that is not a multiple of 30 is part of that. This
discussion is another. At least we have an *opportunity) to create some
breathing room in our evaluations.

--
Ross K. Smith
Director of Debate