[eDebate] Mardi Gras at UL-Lafayette Jan. 25-27, 2008 Invitation

Thu Nov 1 13:41:15 CDT 2007

Dear Colleagues:

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is pleased to announce the return of
the Mardi Gras Debate tournament for CEDA/NDT policy debate Jan. 25- 27, 2008.
  All schools are welcome. The tournament is sanctioned by CEDA. If possible,
this tournament will also be sanctioned by the ADA. That sanctioning is in
process.

The tournament will consist of three divisions of CEDA policy debate: Open,
Junior, and Novice ~ but we will collapse divisions if low numbers warrant. We
will do everything in our power to maintain novice division. UL-Lafayette teams
may be added to make a division, but will not be allowed to break. In each
division, there will be six preliminary rounds of debate competition on the
2007-2008 CEDA resolution. The appropriate number of elimination rounds will
follow.

All divisions will use the 9-3-6 format with ten minutes of preparation time. We
will not break brackets for elimination rounds. Rounds I and II will be preset.
There are no judges for hire from the UL-Lafayette program. You must bring
enough judges to cover your team. As a new policy debate program, we have no
alumni to judge rounds. Teams will not be accepted unless they supply a judge
to cover their commitment.

Round one of the tournament will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, January 25, 2008.
Elimination rounds begin at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday January 27, 2008. UL-Lafayette
will be offering traditional Cajun Hospitality; including, but not limited to,
king cake and New Orleans style coffee in the mornings and Cajun food on
Saturday.  Late elimination rounds on Sunday should allow you some recovery
time from the previous evening?s festivities.

For those of you unfamiliar with Mardi Gras, it is a 48 day celebration prior to
Lent. The dates of Mardi Gras change every year. In the last two weeks prior to
Lent, cities and Krewes in Louisiana host various parades. Our intent is to
have you out of round six on Saturday early enough to attend Mardi Gras Parades
in New Orleans or the Lafayette parade. New Orleans is a straight shot 1.5 to 2
hour drive from Lafayette. However, we believe that students can have just as
much fun in Lafayette by staying in town and celebrating Mardi Gras Cajun
style, with parades and other festivities.

I look forward to welcoming you all to the Heart of Cajun Country and will
strive to make our tournament one of the more memorable and enjoyable policy
debate tournaments of the year.

Scott M. Elliott, Ph.D., J.D.				sme at louisiana.edu
Director of Debate				337-482-6090 or 337-849-7487
University of Louisiana at Lafayette

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

ENTRIES: Schools may enter any number of teams in any division. This is a
sanctioned CEDA tournament. We are trying to get the tournament sanctioned by
ADA. If so, the tournament will comply with ADA rules.

JUDGES: Schools must provide a qualified judge for every two teams or fraction
thereof entered. If your team is not covered by a judge, we cannot accept that
team?s entry. At this time, we have no judges for hire. If you can provide
qualified judges for hire, please let us know. All judges are obligated 1 round
after their teams are eliminated.

AWARDS: All teams reaching elimination rounds will receive awards. In addition,
Speaker Awards will be given to the top 6 speakers in each division. Speaker
Awards will be based on adjusted speaker points (dropping high and low), then
total speaker points, then double adjusted speaker points, then z-scores, then
ranks.

FORMAT: Six preliminary rounds and the appropriate number of elimination rounds
will be offered in each division. The 2007-2008 CEDA resolution will be used
with the 9-3-6 minute format. Preparation time will be limited to 10 minutes.
Rounds I and II will be randomly paired. Rounds III and V will be paired
high/high based cumulative records. Rounds IV and VI will be paired high/low
within brackets and side constraints.

FORFEIT RULE: A 15-minute forfeit rule will be strictly enforced.

CEDA STATEMENT ON SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION: This tournament abides by the CEDA
Statement on Sexual Discrimination and encourages an inclusive atmosphere for
all those participating. Insofar as possible, the procedures in the CEDA
Statement on Sexual Discrimination will be followed for complaints based on
race, gender, or sexual orientation.

FEES: Entry fees of $70.00 per person (debaters, judges, coaches and guests).All
changes/drops at registration will result in a $15 fee. Fees cover Saturday?s
breakfast and lunch, breakfast Sunday, trophies and rooms fees.

FEE REDUCTIONS: New programs and low-budget programs are encouraged to apply for
reduced to waived fees. Please email sme2607 at louisiana.edu. We want as many
schools as possible to join us.

DEADLINE: All teams must be entered by 5:00 p.m. (CDT) on Monday, January 21,
2008. Entries should be made through debateresults.com.

HOTEL:

We have secured fifty rooms with double beds for the Tournament at the:

Hilton Garden Inn Lafayette/Cajundome
2350 West Congress Street
Lafayette, LA  70506
Tel: 337.291.1977 / Fax: 337.237.0400
www.lafayettecajundome.stayhgi.com

Rooms are $90.00 per night for double beds and $119.00 for King suites. Please
note that all reservation must be made by 01/03/2008. Schools can either book a
room in the group by going to our hotel?s website
www.lafayettecajundome.stayhgi.com, calling the hotel direct, or calling their
reservations hotline at 1-877-STAYHGI.  The group code for the group block is
SPEECH. The hotel is only five minutes away from the building that rounds will
be held in. The block is from Thursday January 24 through Sunday January 27,
2008.

Tentative Tournament Schedule

Thursday January 24:
Registration and Coaches reception, Tournament Hotel.

Friday January 25:

Rounds 1 and 2 Pre-sets released at the Tournament Hotel and on e-debate
11:00 a.m.
Griffin Hall has 37 rooms. It is anticipated that all rounds will be held in
Griffin with divisions staying on one floor per division.

Round 1				1:00 p.m.
Round 2				3:00 p.m.
Round 3				5:00 p.m.

Saturday January 26
Round 4    pairings released at the Tournament Hotel and on e-debate    7:00
a.m.

Round 4				8:00   a.m.        King Cake and Coffee
Round 5	                       10:30 a.m.	Cajun Food,
Round 6				1:00   p.m.  or  earlier

(Note: Every minute you spend revising your PIC is a minute you are not in New
Orleans.)
Breaks posted ASAP at Griffin Hall, Tournament Hotel and on e-debate.

Sunday January 27

Elimination Round Pairings released at Griffin, the Tournament Hotel and on
e-debate   9:00 a.m.

Elimination Round 1		10:00 a.m.
Awards Ceremony			12:00 p.m.
Elimination Rounds Continue

Lafayette Parade. Saturday Night. Rio Parada

Only two years old, the Rio Parada sets the pace for Mardi Gras in Lafayette by
staging the city's first parade on SATURDAY, JANUARY 26, 2008. ___TBD__will
lead the third annual Krewe of Carnivale en Rio Parada as "Duquessa du Parada"
or Grand Marshal this year.
Spectacular new floats, most owned by the krewe, will hit the streets that night
(and they all said that it could never be done). With a total of 22 floats and
with over 550 riders, the krewe will be armed with the coolest collection of
beads and throws for Lafayette parade-goers of all ages.
Floats in the Rio Parada are decorated with a myriad of Brazilian themes. The
Copacabana, the Amazon River, the Brazilian Flag, Carmen Miranda...all make
appearances in the Rio line-up. Riders wear dazzling sequined costumes of their
themed float and throw the colored beads and trinkets of their theme.
The heart-pounding samba sounds will be broadcast live on KRVS 88.7 FM, the
University of Louisiana radio station. In addition to the broadcast beat, a
score of marching bands from throughout the Acadiana area will entertain the
Parada crowd.

New Orleans Parades by Date and Times:

 Saturday	 Jan 26	Sparta	Uptown	6:00 pm
 	 	Pegasus	Uptown	6:45 pm
 	 	Caesar	Metairie	6:00 pm
Sunday	Jan 27 	Alla	West Bank	12:00 N
 	 	Carrollton	Uptown	12:00 N
 	 	King Arthur & Merlin	Uptown	1:15 pm
 	 	Barkus	French Quarter 	2:00 pm
		Nemesis	Chalmette	2:00 pm
 	 	Rhea	Metairie	3:45 pm
 	 	Centurions	Metairie	4:15 pm

Most parades last two hours. Two parades will last  three to four hours.