[eDebate] Ross's Judging Question About the Unconditional PIC

Dallas Perkins dperkins
Thu Nov 1 14:33:00 CDT 2007

I lost your message, but I'll respond.  I vote neg.  Saying the CP is
unconditional does not mean that the neg can never be consigned to
advocacy of the SQ.  If something about the CP is totally
illigitimate--say, it's topical, it's a PIC, it's international fiat, it's
object fiat, etc--then that seems to me to prove only that the neg cannot
advocate the CP.  This does not mean the neg can't still advocate the
world without the CP.

I've given this some thought over the years.  I confess that my rationale
is more metaphysics than debate theory.  The neg always defends the status
quo, the counterplan only functions as an amendment of the SQ.  Every CP
is built on top of a very elaborate SQ.  The CP can't change everything
about the SQ, it only changes a very little bit of it.  Everything else
remains the same, and most of what the neg defends is the SQ.  (This is
equally true of the aff, of course.)  If some or all of the amendments to
the status quo proposed by the neg (or the aff) are illigitimate for some
theoretical reason, the remedy is to disallow those illigitimate
amendments.

This disallowing of illigitimate counterplan or plan provisions need not
be a voting issue.  If the team with the disallowed plan still wins the
debate based on what they have left, so be it.  A plan with an
extratopical provision is not traditionally thought inevitably fatal.
Similar treatment should be accorded counterplan advocacy decided by the
judge to be illigitimate.

Finally, this is very different from conditionality.  The neg does not
claim the right to jetison the CP with all its attendant net benefits
merely because it is getting beaten like a rented mule on the merits.  The
neg may only take advantage of the opportunity to make a strategic
concession of an argument still being extended in the debate by the aff.
If at any  time in the debate the aff grants the theoretical legitimacy of
the CP, the neg is stuck defending it.  This seems to me a reasonable
strategic choice for the aff to be forced to make; conditionality's
requirement that the aff answer a complex multi-argument negative attack
without a clear point of comparison seems unreasonable.

dp