[eDebate] Fw: "Illegal debating" discussion

Sherry Hall shahall
Mon Nov 5 15:27:33 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Sherry Hall
To: James E. Radford jr
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [eDebate] "Illegal debating" discussion

You leave out the showing of pornography to people who have asked not to be exposed to it.  I think that that clearly violates the sexual harassment definition at Harvard. Hanging posters of scantily clad women in office settings has been deemed to violate sexual harassment laws by creating a hostile working environment under Title VII.  I think the key here is whether or not the actions created a hostile environment.  I believe that Wende has indicated that her partner did perceive this to be hostile.  An environment that renders one so uncomfortable as to not be able to participate in the round seems pretty hostile to me.  I also think it is not very helpful for you or anyone else to suggest that Wende and her partner are wrong to characterize this as sexual harassment.  They are the ones that experienced it, and you are not really in any position to challenge their perceptions of how they felt.  If they felt they were harassed, if they felt the environment was hostile, then for them it was.  We as a community have to decide how we are going to deal with these situations.  We can continue to turn a blind eye and watch more and more women leave this activity, or we can acknowledge that some basic standards of respect for the other participants in this game are in order.  I applaud Wende's openness in explaining what happened, and wholeheartedly support her right to call it sexual harassment if she sees fit.

Sherry