[eDebate] 2 APTT Positions @ Weber State: Civic Advocacy & Public Relations

OMAR GUEVARA Oguevara
Mon Nov 5 16:17:00 CST 2007

The Department of Communication at Weber State University invites applications for the following two (2) faculty positions beginning Fall, 2008:

Assistant Professor of Public Relations & Advertising (PR&A)

We seek candidates whose education and professional experience will contribute to curriculum innovations in our PR&A concentration that integrates public relations, advertising, and marketing within a Communication context.

Teaching load of four classes per semester will include courses in public relations, advertising, graphic design, media writing, departmental foundation courses, or advising student media organizations. The ability to teach other core courses including Communication Theory and Communication Research Methods is desirable.

Assistant Professor of Civic Advocacy

We seek candidates to take a leadership role in developing our new Civic Advocacy concentration.  This concentration seeks to educate students to serve as advocates for the public good, such as attorneys, legislators, religious leaders, politicians, lobbyists, and advocates for the environment, animals, women, ethnic minority groups, children, the homeless, and other marginalized groups.

Teaching load is four classes per semester with occasional reassignment time for research. Teaching load may include courses such as public speaking, persuasion, communication law, research methods, communication theory, introduction to mass communication, mass media and society, and public relations.  Other desirable expertise areas include political communication, ethics, cultural studies, new media, and mediation/peace studies.

Our department, consisting of a dynamic and cohesive group of 18 faculty members, is seeking a colleague dedicated to undergraduate education, scholarly research, advising, and service.  Weber State University is located 35 miles north of Salt Lake City at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains.  The area is rich in both cultural and outdoor recreational opportunities: hiking, fly-fishing, and skiing, with the 2002 Olympic downhill site only 25 minutes away.

Appointments contingent on final budget approval.

For a tenure-track appointment, candidate must possess a Ph.D. in Communication by July 1, 2008. Strong ABD candidates may be considered for temporary appointment as instructor with negotiated time lines for completion for degree completion.

Review of applications will begin January 8th, 2008, and will continue until filled.

Applicants must submit online:  (1) a letter of application, (2) vitae, (3) statement of teaching philosophy, and (4) names/contact information for three professional references to: https://jobs.weber.edu  .The candidate must also must also mail or fax copies (801-626-7975) of (5) three current letters of recommendation, (6) academic transcripts, and (7) evidence of teaching effectiveness directly to Omar G. Guevara and Susan Hafen c/o Civic Advocacy Search Committee or Mukhbir Singh c/o Public Relations Search Committee, Department of Communication, Weber State University, Ogden UT 84408-1605.

Direct questions about the PR&A position to Msingh at weber.edu and questions about the Civic Advocacy position to Oguevara at weber.edu or Shafen at weber.edu .

For information about our department see: http://weber.edu/communication

WSU is an AA/EO employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.