[eDebate] Solt on the unconditional PIC hypothetical

Ross Smith smithr
Tue Nov 6 12:27:21 CST 2007

More good stuff from Roger:

On the PICs/Conditionality hypothetical, I think the most insightful
post so far has been Dallas?s. Like him, I think I would fall in the
probably small minority of judges who would still vote negative. My
answer, slightly different from his, is that in saying that a
counterplan is ?unconditional,? one is saying that the counterplan will
be one?s sole policy advocacy PROVIDED THAT ONE IS PERMITTED TO ADVOCATE
IT. But if affirmative theory arguments deny the negative the advocacy
of the counterplan, it seems more reasonable to revert to the status quo
as a point of comparison with the plan rather than to endorse the plan
by default. Again, in terms of the hypothetical, we know at the end of
the round that voting for the plan will make the world worse (relative
to what now exists), and this is certainly not a comfortable position to
be placed in if one attempts to model debate judgihng on the standards
of rational real world decision making.

This last caveat is, of course, one which most contemporary debate
judges would reject, game theory (broadly construed) having come to
trump argument theory and rational choice theory within our activity. I
also don?t think that the idea of a totally ?unconditional? counterplan
makes sense from a rational choice standpoint, since a rational decision
maker would (almost) always have the option of rejecting two bad
proposals for change in favor of a less disadvantageous status quo. So,
I can see an argument that the negative should be punished for defending
a less than totally rational theory construct. Still, the correction to
this lapse of requiring the judge to vote for a known evil (the plan)
seems only to compound the irrationality.

--
Ross K. Smith
Director of Debate

336-251-2076 (c)