[eDebate] 52nd Pflaum Invite -- Emporia Tournament

Samuel Maurer chairman.maurer
Wed Nov 7 12:25:50 CST 2007

THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT:
* Tournament hotels ? We have blocks at the same price at the
Fairfield and Holiday Inn.  Those hotels are adjacent and we
anticipate no one having to stay anywhere else based on how many rooms
we've had blocked in the past.  Please make reservations at the
Fairfield first; the hotels are virtually identical except the
Fairfield block closes first.  DO NOT SMOKE IN ROOMS: the fee they
charge is astronomical.

* This is not a normal tournament date.  We traded with Baylor for a
year because our homecoming was scheduled for our normal weekend and
we couldn't get enough rooms.  We'll be back in October next year.

* Shuttle Service from Airport ? If you are flying into KCI, special
arrangements can be made to pick your team up at the airport and
provide shuttle service while in town.  We'd like to see more regional
diversity at our tournament so we will provide this service free of
cost if we are notified soon that this is what you intend to do.
Please let us know soon (when you buy the tickets) so that we can make
arrangements.

THINGS THAT ARE MOSTLY THE SAME AS LAST YEAR:

Dear Community,

 On behalf of Emporia State University, the Department of Communication and
Theatre, and Hornet Debate, it is my privilege to invite you to the
52nd Annual George R. R. Pflaum Debate Tournament in Emporia, KS. The
tournament will be held January 19th-21st, 2008 with Registration at one of the
tournament hotels, Holiday Inn Express, on January 18th.

 We are pleased to be offering 6 rounds of debate in Open, Junior Varsity
and novice divisions. We know many prefer an 8 round format, however, we
believe that a 6 round format encourages wellness (and sleep). Final round
schedule will depend on entries and facilities. We will make every effort
to keep divisions separate, but again, divisions are entry dependent.
A final schedule will follow closer to the tournament date.

 We believe we offer a fine slate of competition in the Midwest tradition,
as well as great hospitality, as some of you who have been here before can
attest. We will continue that hospitality and then some.

  We do hope you will join us here in October to help celebrate our
tournament.

Sincerely,

Sam Maurer
Director of Debate
smaurer at emporia.edu
(620) 341-5705 office
(509) 270-1507 cell

James Taylor
Assistant Director of Debate

Sarah Schulte
Executive Assistant

LODGING INFORMATION - MAKE RESERVATIONS SOON.

TOURNAMENT HOTELS ? The block will be released on December 19th (For
the Fairfield) and January 1st (For the Holiday Inn) the block is
reserved under ESU Debate.

The Holiday Inn Express - 2921 W 18th Avenue (620) 341-9393 $79.00
Fairfield ? 2930 W Eagle Crest Dr (620) 342-4445 $79.00

We have made arrangements for a 79.00 rate for these hotels. That includes
several "suites" (at the Holiday Inn) with two queens, and sleeper
couches for the same
rate! First come, first served.

These hotels are adjacent to one another.  For those of you who have
been here before, you know the Fairfield as the hotel that is
connected to the Holiday Inn.  We have a ridiculous number of rooms at
these two hotels and do not anticipate anyone having to stay
elsewhere.

NOTE: If the block fills-up at both hotels, please let me know and I
can speak with the managers about getting more rooms at the block
rate.

I am told that all rooms have microwaves and refrigerators, and that a pool
and continental breakfasts are available. Pairings will be put out both hotels.

OVERFLOW HOTELS

OVERFLOW ? Travelodge & Conference Center - 2700 W. 18th Avenue
         (620) 343-2200.  The block is reserved under ESU Debate.

We have made arrangements for a 55.00 rate for this hotel.

The overflow block will only be held officially until October 2nd. After that
you can probably still get the block rate if rooms are still
available. Many more doubles
available.

Budget Host Inn - 1830 East Highway 50 (620)343-6922 Rate: Cheap, like $40
or so, call and ask for a corporate discount. This is the cheap hotel.
Its not officially an overflow hotel, but teams have stayed here in
the past to save money. Its not pretty, but it's not bad.

Need more hotels? email and ask.

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

TRANSPORTATION: Emporia is located at the major highway junction of I-335
and I-35. Those of you driving will have little trouble finding the
University or the hotel, as both are located within two blocks of
I-35. For those of you flying, the Emporia airport does have shuttle
service to KCI, but you will find flying into Kansas City
International Airport the cheapest option.  If notified in advance,
ESU can provide transportation for teams flying into KCI free of cost.
 We would like to see more regional diversity at our tournament so we
will provide this service free of cost.  Please let us know ASAP if
you want a lift.

GUIDELINES: The Pflaum will abide by all relevant CEDA guidelines on sexual
harassment and debater eligibility.

TOPIC: We will use the 2007-08 CEDA/NDT topic.

TIMES: 9-3-6 with 10 minutes of prep.

DIVISIONS: We will offer Novice, Junior Varsity and Open levels of
competition, eligibility by CEDA guidelines. We reserve the right to collapse
divisions if entries warrant. We will try to preserve novice as a primary
concern.

AWARDS: will be awarded to the top 10 speakers in all divisions that
warrant, more if the numbers are there, less if not. Suitable awards will
be given to all out round participants.

SMOKING: ESU is a minimal smoking campus, smoking is allowed 25ft away
from buildings, we ask your help in enforcing this policy as well as
being aware of the mess smoking creates outside of buildings.

ELIMINATION ROUNDS: Will be held as per the CEDA formula, we anticipate at
least quarters in all divisions, octos in open.  If teams are forced
to go maverick because of extenuating circumstances, they will be
allowed to debate but not to clear.

ENTRY FEES: $80 per policy team.

JUDGING GUIDELINES: Each team is expected to provide one qualified judge
for every two teams entered. One team will equal a half commitment (3
rounds). Fees for uncovered teams will be $100, of course we would rather
have your judges than your money. We reserve the right to limit entries
based on available judges from any school. We do not have any judges
available locally for hire at this time (except JT who might be spoken for
already). We encourage you to post to edebate to get folks to come out of
the woodwork. If you have judges for hire, please let us know ASAP, and we
will get them hooked up with folks. Each judge is expected to render a
decision before the start time of the next round, in a timely manner, with
ONE team given the win. ALL JUDGES ARE OBLIGATED THROUGH THE FIRST
ELIM ROUND OR ONE ROUND PAST THE ELIMINATION OF THEIR SQUAD, Please
abide by that rule.

ENTRIES: We support the Brushke site, and entry ability should be up this
evening. Deadline for Entries is Wednesday, January 9th, please send them
in early so we can plan food.

Get your entries in ASAP.

ANTICIPATED SCHEDULE

Friday, January 18th

7 p.m. - 9 p.m. Registration, Holiday Inn Express (pairings may be released
at 10 p.m. or so for 1 and 2)

Saturday, January 19th
8 a.m. Pairing released (Holiday Inn Express, if not Friday)

9 a.m. ROUND ONE (Preset)

11:30 LUNCH (Lakeview cafeteria)

1 p.m. ROUND TWO (Preset)

4 p.m. ROUND THREE (Powered)

Sunday, January 20th
8 a.m. Pairings released (Holiday Inn Express)

9 a.m. ROUND FOUR (Powered)

11:30 LUNCH (Skyline cafeteria)

1 p.m. ROUND FIVE (Powered)

4 p.m. ROUND SIX (Powered)

7 p.m. Partials if necessary

THAT NIGHT - Hospitality

Monday, January 21st

7:30 a.m. Pairing released, Holiday Inn Express

8:30 a.m. Elim Round I

10:30 or ASAP Awards Assembly.

ASAP - remaining Elim rounds.

--