[eDebate] Twitter -- Shirley updates via text messages

Ross Smith smithr
Thu Nov 8 08:42:14 CST 2007

During the tournament we will send broadcast messages to the cell phones
(and/or computers) of all who want the messages. We will use Twitter.

This will allow you to get messages updating where we are in the ballot
collection/pairing process ("pairings in 10 minutes" is an example) and
will help us help you ("Harris MIA with ballot!" is an example). "Cal BP
running new Golan aff" is a hypothetical message from the scouting dept.

Here's the quick and easy way to get the messages on your phone:

1. Send a text message to 40404 (it doesn't matter what's in the text
message)
2. You will then receive a text from twitter (40404) asking you to send
your name to confirm you want a twitter mobile account (this may take a
minute); reply to this message with your name.
3. Send a message to 40404 that contains "follow wfushirley" (as written
exactly here with a space between follow and wakedebate, without the
quotes)
4. You should receive a confirmation text from twitter saying that
you'll receive wfushirley updates

You can learn more about Twitter and sign up to send an recieve via AIM
and other computer channels at twitter.com

--
Ross K. Smith
Director of Debate