[eDebate] A message from the 2006-7 RAND Debate Fellowship recipient

Timothy O'Donnell todonnel
Tue Nov 13 11:15:20 CST 2007

See the following message from Dan Shalmon, the 2006-7 PRGS Debate Fellowship recipient:

All -

If anyone is (seriously) interested in the PRGS/RAND fellowship,
please feel free to contact me at das223 at georgetown.edu. I went
through the admissions process last year. I visited both the Santa
Monica and Washington campuses, and talked with several current
students and RAND Project Managers that employ them. Having stayed in
DC (with RAND's generous permission) to do some pre-PhD grad school, I
can provide some insight into the role RAND plays in the military
industrial complex, the utility of its curriculum, and how it compares
to alternative programs that are IR or foreign policy oriented. If you
want to work on domestic issues (health care, education, environment
and criminal justice were the areas I recall)... I know only what I
heard second-hand from RAND students who share your interests, but
I'll reveal what I can.

DS

Timothy M. O'Donnell
Director of Debate and Associate Professor of Speech
University of Mary Washington
316 Combs Hall
1301 College Ave.
Fredericksburg, VA 22401