[eDebate] Rochester!

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Mon Nov 19 07:14:38 CST 2007

On behalf of the WVU Debate Team, I want to thank Ken Johnson, the other Rochester coaches, the Yellowjacket debaters, the Rochester alums, and Brad and Jane Smith for a fantastic Brad Smith Debate Tournament!  The atmosphere was congenial, Gordie Miller ran a great tab room (handling 4 divisions in two different formats with two different computer programs with ease even in the face of technical difficulties beyond his control!), and it was great to see both the Smiths and tournament founder Sam Nelson at the tournament.  The competition was also enhanced (greatly, as Oklahoma's 17-1 record in prelims demonstrates!) by distant participants from Oklahoma, Emory, and Florida (which came for the gorgeous weather!).  All in all a great tournament!

On a regional bragging note, since September of 2006, at least 12 different people have tabbed tournaments held in the Northeast region (perhaps soon-to-be conference).  We continue to work to demystify the process and expand the pool of skilled tabulators.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University